Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB does not install white plaster? Why?

1. Back To Top    #1

PB does not install white plaster? Why?

So, i need to get my pool reno'd. I have found a great company that i really like. They are quoting me $10,800 for pebble tech level 1 (including replacing 1 pool drain, 2 spa drains and adding 1 more pool drain to bring it up to code).

I originally wanted to just get white plaster to save money but was told they dont install white plaster anymore. I then called another PB and was told the same thing. Is white plaster really not used anymore. I did get quoted $2800 for white plaster from a small company I didnt really like.
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

PB does not install white plaster? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by consoleman View Post
    So, i need to get my pool reno'd. I have found a great company that i really like. They are quoting me $10,800 for pebble tech level 1 (including replacing 1 pool drain, 2 spa drains and adding 1 more pool drain to bring it up to code).

I originally wanted to just get white plaster to save money but was told they dont install white plaster anymore. I then called another PB and was told the same thing. Is white plaster really not used anymore. I did get quoted $2800 for white plaster from a small company I didnt really like.
    From my understanding you can still get it but most don't recommend simple white plaster any longer. The pebble plasters last a lot longer and so have become the preference.

Here is an article comparing different types. Swimming Pool Plaster | DIY Pool Plans

Maybe look at quartz as an option if you want to spend less?

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: PB does not install white plaster? Why?

It's kind of like most things these days. Expectations have risen and so has the PB's marketing skill. Plain plaster is just as available as base models of cars. It will get you 10-20 years if well maintained (may not look the best at that point).
    Pebble finishes have a much higher profit margin to them as well. And really no downsides except cost.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys I guess I will look into quartz. I know ive read that pebble tech last a very long time if the pool is properly balanced. Lets hope I can get 10 yrs out of quartz.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Absolutely no reason you won't get 10++ years from quartz if properly maintained.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Great, Thanks! I have been lazy with the pool chemistry but after I pay for this reno I know im gonna be on top of it from now on. Our PB company is going to give us a hard time if they even decide to give us a quote on quartz. They only install pebble tech $$$.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would call MMG - Modern Method Gunite. They are the company who installs PebbleTec here in Houston. They really are an outstanding group. I would ask them if they do plain white plaster. If they say no, ask them where you can go. I think they will be honest with you.

From what my PB told me, it wasn't just the mark-up for him. It was also the quality of work MMG does. He knew there would be fewer headaches post plaster. If there were problems, he knew MMG would take care of them. From my experience last summer with the PebbleTec division of MMG, I believe my PB was telling the truth. They were amazing and the ultimate professionals.
    I know when I was getting pool build bids, plain plaster was available, but not encouraged.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Interesting the regional differences in PB that I am seeing here.

We are actively building right now. During the bid process, and early conversations between my wife and I, we had lots of conversations about the different finish options. Not one builder said NO to regular plaster, several advocated Quartz or pebble tech for longevity and variety of color and texture options. We ultimately went with plain white plaster, only because in 10-12 years we are pretty sure we will want to change the look of our pool anyway so we really didn't need the longevity. There were certainly Quartz options we liked, but since our previous pool was grey we new we wanted a more traditional white pool finish this time and going with a plain white finish meant the economics of plaster won out.