Extremely Cloudy Water Not Clearing Up

Hi guys. Thanks to everything I've learned on here, I am usually able to keep my pool crystal clear and running smoothly. However, this year, early in the season, I'm having a huge issue (to me) at the moment. I had the water balanced and crystal clear early on this year but then was not able to use the pool for about a week (however, the pump and SWG were still running of course...pump about 12 hours a day and SWG was keeping FC levels up). After the week of non-use, I took the cover off and panicked. I had what I originally thought was algae in a bunch of the lowest spots on the floor of both shallow end and deep end and some on the slope. However, after testing and research, I came to the conclusion that it was simply pollen (which was EVERYWHERE around here). I brushed the whole pool and shut off my skimmer, using the main drain for suction and the water cleared up in no time. I DID slam the pool, just to be on the safe side, however I never did have and CC. Anyway...problem solved...so I thought!
We had a few beautiful days of early summer up here (East coast of Canada) where we enjoyed the pool immensely...then the weather turned and got very cold and rained for the last 2 weeks, keeping us out of the pool completely. Same deal with the pump and SWG continuing to run no problem. I took the cover off yesterday and could have cried. The majority of the pool floors and slope were covered in the same dirt or pollen as last time...just alot more of it! Again, the FC levels had never dropped to a dangerous level to allow algae to grow and when I brush it, it immediately comes off very easily in a big cloud of dust in the water so I really don't think it's algae. My problem is that this time, the water is not clearing up! I brushed the whole pool yesterday afternoon (about 19 hours ago) and it all came off super easy and clouded up the water. I did the same method of shutting off my skimmer and keeping my main drain wide open and brushed it all toward the drain.
Again, just to be safe, I added chlorine last night, up to 18ppm (I didn't have anymore to bring it up to shock level). This morning, I retested and the FC had not dropped and there is no C.C. however the water is still completely cloudy with the brownish, yellowish dirt (dust or pollen or whatever it is).
A very rough estimated is that my Hayward Tristar 1hp full rated pump should turn my water over completely every 3-3.5 hours. So, going through my Hayward cartridge filter, it should have pretty much completely cleared it up?
I thought there had to be a problem with my filter (I had recently changed the filter cartridges and thought maybe something was disconnected inside) so I took it all apart this morning to check. Everything seemed completely fine but I put clean filters in anyway.
I'm panicking because my son is having his 12th birthday party here on Saturday and it's supposed to be a pool party!
Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions. Or do you think I just need to be more patient and wait for it to clear up?

Test results before adding chlorine yesterday were: Salt 3200ppm, FC 5ppm, CC 0, TA 70, pH 7.2, CYA 60

Yes, baffling indeed. What kind of cover is it? Is the cover getting old? Is there pollen getting on the cover and washing in to the pool when you take it off?

Yes, baffling indeed. What kind of cover is it? Is the cover getting old? Is there pollen getting on the cover and washing in to the pool when you take it off?

It's a clear solar blanket. Only 3 years old this season. I do notice pollen on the top of the cover sometimes and i'm sure that some of it washes into the water...but that's always been the case, nothing's changed there. If it's pollen, shouldn't my filter have taken care of it by now?

I have another strange piece of the puzzle this morning. My pH, which has been on the low side this season so far, went from 7.2 right up to 7.9 or 8 since I've stirred up the water. Here is my full test results from this morning: FC 21 (was 24 last night), CC 0.5 (just the slightest tinge of pink cleared up immediately with one drop), pH 7.9 or 8!!!, TA 70, CYA 70, CH 50 (which seems a bit low to me but I don't usually worry much about it with a vinyl liner).

**EDIT: I'm realizing that the huge spike in pH might be simply because of my extremely high FC level...I'll check again as the FC drifts back down to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.