Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mystery of disappearing chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Mystery of disappearing chlorine

Hi
    Big TFP fan - the system is so easy and effective it turned the pool chores into NBD.

But I have a problem right now....
    Average PPM chlorine consumption is running at 5ppm/day this year!
    Previous years it averaged 1.2 ppm/day.

Already checked for visible algae, did OCLT, cleaned filter cartridges.

OCLT: 0.5 ppm overnight
    Algae: nothing visible

Right now using the TF Test Kit:
    FC 2.0 ppm (just measured and haven't put in today's contribution)
    CC 0.0 ppm
    CH 150
    TA 95
    pH 7.6
    CYA 30

(Using "Megashock" 12.5% sodium hypochlorite for chlorine.)

Any help appreciated....

Thanks,
    Steve
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mystery of disappearing chlorine

check behind lights and ladders found a mess behind the 2 of my lights...
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Steven I am glad to hear your pool has been mostly trouble free. It does seem a little hungry though. I just checked your current weather for your state. It is on the warm side up there right now. How does the temps compare to last year? What has your bather load been like?

Does your pool have a toothbrush yet? If not get it one and go after the little places-all around the returns, inside and around the skimmer boxes, the skimmer doors, steps-bottom and behind.

Now lets talk about lights. Your very complete siggy does not list them but thought I better ask. Do you have a light? If so when was the last time your took it out?

I look forward to your comments to my questions and ideas. I tend to just throw things up and see what sticks.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bingo!

I never pay attention to the lights - they've never worked.
    So I just checked and they're BLACK behind the glass!

Ok, so I know what I'll be doing this weekend.....

Any secrets to cleaning the light fixtures (I mean, other than SHUT OFF THE ELECTRICITY)?
    Dissassemble, scrub the removable parts with bleach, but what about the cavity?

Thanks!

Steve
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

5. Back To Top    #5

i took them totally apart, and let them dry in the sun. and replaced the seals. my lights dont' work, so i took them apart and sealed them and put them back in so no water gets in them. also clean behind the lights,,, where they sit in the side... that is where i had 2 inch algae... mess to clean, but glad i did.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

This is where the toothbrush will come in hand. I wonder if a bottle brush would be helpful for this...Puppies what do you think?

I like his idea of sealing them up so no water can get in them.

You are going to need to SLAM the pool for a day or so after this. There will be no way to keep that nasty stuff from getting into your pool

Nice job finding the nasties!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit