Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zero progress....

1. Back To Top    #1

Zero progress....

having a hard time trying to get my pool clear..
    never had a pool before and with assistance from my local pool store I've successfully spent about $500 in product in the past 2 weeks in attempt to get the problem rectified.. Well to say the least, here's where my google search has led me for assistance!

today's test from the company yielded:
    Total Chlorine: 1.2
    Free Chlorine: 0.0
    pH 6.9
    Alkalinity 80
    Calcium 75
    Stabilizer 0
    Shock Treatment 1.2

Water looks milky/cloudy and there are small specks of white churning through..

I honestly don't know what direction to go. I'm trying to do this on my own but find it overwhelming with the amount of stuff to do. Thought about hiring a pool person, but not sure who's good or bad..

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks,
    Keith
    18x33 AG, 15,700gal, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP Dynamo AG pump, Installed 2014/15?, Strip Test Kit, Well filled when needed before filtration

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Zero progress....

Keith, Welcome to TFP

You are the best pool pro there is, no better person to take care of you pool...

You need a test kit to know exactly what is going on, the Tf100 + the XL option and a little work with grocery store products will get your pool this clear and keep it there using bleach

Check out the links in my signature, grab a test kit

make a trip to walmart, grab 10 gallons of 10% bleach/liquid chlorine from the pool isle
    pour 1 gallon in your pool a day and brush untill your test kit arrives (this just keeps everything from getting worse)
    when your kit arrives post numbers here

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Cowboy!
    I have the kit on order as I am new to the feed. Hopefully it will be here in the next few days.
    I actually have 6 of the 2 1/2 gal pails of liquid chlorine from the pool store. Should I use that or get the bleach while I wait?

4. Back To Top    #4

liquid chlorine is bleach is liquid chlorine...

The strength may be different between the two but the exact same thing is in each...chlorine.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the 12.5% sodium hypochlorite that I'll use in the interim. I was told to add metal magnet yesterday in fear of iron in my water so I shouldn't add bleach until 5pm today.
    And when you mean brush, you are referring to actually brushing the walls and floor correct?
    18x33 AG, 15,700gal, Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP Dynamo AG pump, Installed 2014/15?, Strip Test Kit, Well filled when needed before filtration

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach

Yep, brush on a pole, walls and floor.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds good.
    I'll return back when I get my TF-100!
    Thanks for some starter help!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Nice, already ordered a TF100, your well on your way
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds good.
    I'll return back when I get my TF-100!
    Thanks for some starter help!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

First, welcome to TFP!

Second, great job getting the TF-100 ordered right away. Many people procrastinate on the kit and end up just extending the trouble. I know it isn't a cheap kit, but it will help you never spend $500 on zero progress again!

One thing, figure out how much those 2.5 gallon jugs of chlorine cost vs bleach. It might be more cost efficient continuing to buy those, or they might be overpriced, but don't just use store brand bleach because that is what we call it. Here bleach is just shorthand for liquid chlorine, use whichever makes more sense from an economical and/or convenience factor. Remember, you will have to add 50% more bleach to get the same results as that 12.5%.

Good luck with your cleanup. It might not happen instantly, but you will see progress this time!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

For giggles, I went to another pool shop and tested my well water because I was afraid of metal. Copper is .00, and Iron is .02
    They also tested the pool water which has been chlorine free since yesterday. Their reading is
    FC - .016
    TC - .066
    CC - 0.5
    pH - 7.1
    Hardness - 147
    Alkalinity - 100
    CYA - 39

Anything I can do between now and the arrival of my Tf100 to continue in the right direction?

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Add half a gallon of bleach every day with the pump running. Read Pool School until you are cross-eyed and ask questions as they come up
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

13. Back To Top    #13

14. Back To Top    #14

Ugh, my Tf100 wont be here unti thursday..

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

That's okay. Adding the bleach daily and keeping your pump running 24/7 will help get you started in the right direction.

Remember to brush every day and to backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25%.

Metals, if you have problem, can be addressed after you finish your SLAM.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

16. Back To Top    #16

Bleach is in, brushing 2 times a day.. just a waiting game for my stuff now..