When should I run my pump

TF Tim

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2016
Massachusetts
My pool is open, running great, and doing all the things it should - thanks !00% to the generosity of this forum.

Now I am obsessed :)

So after running my pump 100% of the time during some SLAMing to elminate Ammonia and then whatever else I am into general maintence mode.

I am running the pump about 12 hours from 4pm until 4am - but am thinking that might not be necessary or the right time.

Should I be running this during the day (when the pool gets some occasional light use) or is night the right time?

Any advice???

Thanks.

It's mostly preference, enough hours/day for your pool, but the exact time isn't important. I have my timer set for 2-6 so that when I get home from work it's skimmed. Some take advantage of cheap electricity during the night. Some people break it up into different times, a little during the day, a little during the night. Etc.

All else being equal, I like to run mine during the times I see it most. Reason being that it keeps the surface skimmed, so leaves, flowers petals and pollen are non-existent when I view the pool. They accumulate to some extent while not running and are gone when I look.

during the swim season mine is usually covered with a bubble cover to retain heat, avoid evaporation & debris getting in. I was running it 3 hours a day
but recently turned it down to 2 (mark (mas985) had suggested in another post that might be enough, so I'm going
to try that.

On saturdays and sundays though I usually run it most of the day (uncovered) for cleaning/skimming/swim times. and heating if it needs it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.