Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When should I run my pump

1. Back To Top    #1

When should I run my pump

My pool is open, running great, and doing all the things it should - thanks !00% to the generosity of this forum.

Now I am obsessed

So after running my pump 100% of the time during some SLAMing to elminate Ammonia and then whatever else I am into general maintence mode.

I am running the pump about 12 hours from 4pm until 4am - but am thinking that might not be necessary or the right time.

Should I be running this during the day (when the pool gets some occasional light use) or is night the right time?

Any advice???

Thanks.
    - 30,000 gallon (16'x40' - 10' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaCal Heatpump (broken...)
    - new to pools and 110% clueless!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When should I run my pump

Check out the "determining pump run time" article in Pool School. Likely only need 4 hours of run time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Check out the "determining pump run time" article in Pool School. Likely only need 4 hours of run time.
    I did read that, thanks for noting it, but is there a time of day recommended?
    - 30,000 gallon (16'x40' - 10' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaCal Heatpump (broken...)
    - new to pools and 110% clueless!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It's mostly preference, enough hours/day for your pool, but the exact time isn't important. I have my timer set for 2-6 so that when I get home from work it's skimmed. Some take advantage of cheap electricity during the night. Some people break it up into different times, a little during the day, a little during the night. Etc.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Mr Bruce has you covered on that. One other point, it can cool the pool a bit if you run at night and warm it a bit if you run during the day.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

All else being equal, I like to run mine during the times I see it most. Reason being that it keeps the surface skimmed, so leaves, flowers petals and pollen are non-existent when I view the pool. They accumulate to some extent while not running and are gone when I look.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

during the swim season mine is usually covered with a bubble cover to retain heat, avoid evaporation & debris getting in. I was running it 3 hours a day
    but recently turned it down to 2 (mark (mas985) had suggested in another post that might be enough, so I'm going
    to try that.

On saturdays and sundays though I usually run it most of the day (uncovered) for cleaning/skimming/swim times. and heating if it needs it.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.