Need advice on a pool cover

Apr 17, 2014
United States
I inherited the house with a pool and an old pool safety cover. The pool cover lasted two years and then I moved to a large pool tarp secured by 8 feet water bags and stones. It's a major pain come each opening to remove all the junk from the top of the pool cover. My tarp lasted three seasons and I'm now looking at other alternatives.

1. Go back to a solid safety cover. I like the safety covers. But some of the screws that go into the concrete are old and rusted. Would I be able to get new hardware and insert them into the same holes or will I have to drill new holes?

2. Get a mesh safety cover.

3. Go back to a tarp with a mesh leaf cover. I read the idea here in tfp and sounds intriguing. You can remove the mesh cover in the spring and get all the leaves out.

Any suggestions on what other people are doing? Also I live in NY, any suggestions on a good place to get a good deal on a pool cover?

Hi vin, and welcome.
This is just my .02 so your mileage may vary. I have a solid cover that has a mesh square in the center. I love the combo because you don't have to pump it off but you do not get the mucky water some report with mesh-only cover.

My concrete anchors are brass...surprised yours rusted.
Some got stripped from an over-zealous helper last year. In terms of replacement, it was a 50/50 deal...a few we had to re drill...a few others we could just pop the new screw-thingy into.

I haven't tried the double-cover-leaf-net approach. We just duct-tape an extension pole to a large plastic rake and get anything the blower won't that way. We do that BEFORE the snow hits to avoid a frozen mess come spring ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.