Good evening all! I am new to the forum, not to pools as I have had my 7.6k AG pool for the past 5 years, but apparently very new to keeping care of it correctly, so very thankful for this site!
My story starts off the same as most, pool wasn't properly closed and upon opening found it to be amazingly full of leaves/sludge. I ended up draining most of it, removed all bigger junk but was unable to remove the fine algae. Filled it back up, at the pool stores advice dumped a bunch of chemicals (shock, algaecide, stabilizer) and at least got to a cloudy blue water, of which they sold me more garbage "to clear it up".
While I waited for my test kit to arrive (k-2006) I read as much as i could from the site and have a much better understanding of real pool maintenance. Also in the meantime, I added a few gallons of liquid chlorine (10%) and left the filter and pump running (which it has been for the past week.)
I haven't gone through all of the testing yet as the wife and family was over but i will be heading out there shortly. What i have now is this:
CYA - 50. Found it hard to see the dot fully disappear but im pretty sure this was it.
PH 7.4. Starting a SLAM I will be bringing this down to 7.2
FC 17.5 Under shock level so I assume its ok to drop the PH now
CC 1.5 Which I believe since there is a very strong chlorine smell. I would have never had known if it were for this site.
More results to follow....