Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean sands after pool opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean sands after pool opening

When we opened the pool a few weeks ago, we noticed there are lots of dirt on the bottom. PB came in last week cleaning the pool. He used suction side cleaner. Today when I cleaned the skimmer basket, I noticed there are some sands on the bottom of skimmer around the suction pipe opening. I guess the sands are from the mortar of the concrete deck, which were washed off during the winter. Is that a concern? My filter cartridge pressure is fine so far. Should PB use special vacuum to remove sand instead of directly connecting to suction line?

Thanks so much. A newbie always has lots of questions.
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clean sands after pool opening

If your main concern is simply having sand (mortar or otherwise) getting caught in the filter during cleaning, it's okay. That's what your filter is for. I had a ton of junk in my pool once the flagstone was mortared. Simply clean your filters as required after a good vacuuming, and possibly rinse-out the bottom of the filter housing if needed. You should be okay. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Clean sands after pool opening

Thanks Pat.

Another reason I am starting to look into this is the air bubbles inside the pump basket. It is a stream of tiny air bubbles circulating in the basket. Pump is priming fine. I can also see bubbles coming out from the return jet, but they are mostly individuals. I checked the lid seal, drain valve. All look good. The pump is 5 years old. Not new, but not very old either. That's why I started to look at suction line. I suspect the bubbles might be related with the cleaning work PB did last week since I didn't see the bubbles in the basket 2 weeks ago when I cleaned it first time this season.
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.