Air in Pump basket window

Jun 13, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon, I have a question regarding air in the lines. I have a valve that is set to allow equal suction to the skimmer and main drain. I moved the valve to put all the suction to the skimmer to vacuum the bottom. When I did this, air bubbles started appearing in the pump basket window. I waited a few minutes to see if it would clear but it never stopped. I then moved the valve to jus the main drain and the same result, but not as much. When I move it back to the center, no bubbles appear. Any guesses on what is wrong. I was thinking that it might be the O-ring for the valve that is bad. I have a video, but not sure how to load that on this site yet. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David E Vergara

Hello David and welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, it could be an O-ring at your 3-way valve. Also, I wasn't sure by your description if the air bubbles were appearing only when you had the vacuum attached or not, but I know that whenever my vacuum line is connected more air gets in the line. In any case, we'll watch for any more questions you may have and go from there. Nice to have you with us.

Probably an air leak at your 3-way valve .... do this... turn the pump on and set the valve to a position that causes air bubbles in your pump basket. Then, take a water hose and run water over your 3-way valve. If it's sucking air, the water will temporarily seal the air leak and the bubbles in your basket will disappear... when this happens, you'll know where air is leaking and you can seal it. I made a video on this recently here: How to Fix Air Bubbles In Swimming Pool - YouTube

Just to add onto what Viking has suggested, remove the handle to the valve and pour water on the stem enough to fill the 4 little gaps where the stem comes through the valve lid. If you have an air leak the pump will suck the water into the valve thus emptying the gaps there.

For a temporary fix have some O-ring lube handy. Remove the handle to the valve, put a good bead of lube around the stem and turn the pump on. Now depending on which valve you have most have what's called stops on the handle which prevent you from turning 360 degrees so slightly raise the handle to where you're able to spin the valve 360 degrees and do this, again with the pump running, 3-4 times. The pump will draw the lube into the valve and coat the O-ring to tide you over till you can get them replaced.

GL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.