Pool Decision

Jun 13, 2016
Lynchburg
Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am new to the forum. We own a home with a pre-existing in-ground pool. It was installed approximately 25 to 28 years ago (about 1989 or 1991). The deep end is 8ft. deep and the shallow end is 4 ft. The pool has not been regularly maintained since about 2000, but has been filled with water and covered. The pool is surrounded by cement walkways, but I do not see any visual cracks. As a homeowner, we are debating as to whether it is wiser to demolish the pool (if so how and how much it would cost) or to refurbish the pool (if so, how and how much that would cost). Unfortunately, we are on a limited budget. I would imagine the pool may require a new liner, new pump and possibly some plumbing work. One nearby company, Aquatech, stated that they do not offer free estimates, but considering the situation think it would cost about $25K to $30K to refurbish. Could anyone offer advice or insight? I live in the Central Va area.

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <---- in every post. It makes a difference in our help for you if your are in in Lynchburg, OH vs Lynchburg, MS. Edit, I see it is VA, please update.

You mention it is concrete with no cracks but then mention a new liner. Is it a plaster pool? Or a vinyl pool? If vinyl, I would get a quote for a new liner. If plaster, no big cracks and holds water I would fill it up and see how it goes. Is the pool equipment there? It might work. How big is the pool?