Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vacuum to waste

1. Back To Top    #1

windsor ontario

vacuum to waste

Hi. Just a quick question... when vacuuming to waste do I remove the basket in my pump?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: vacuum to waste

I'm going to take a guess, but personally I think that you still want to strain that water before it hits your impeller to avoid jamming the pump and damaging the motor. So I'd personally leave it in.
    12,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    PentAir WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, PentAir CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, PentAir SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Chandler AZ

Re: vacuum to waste

I agree - leave the pump strainer in place. And if you have a regular heavy debris load when you vacuum(leaves, pods, stuff on the bottom), I'd recommend an inline leaf catcher for the vac hose too. It holds a lot more than the pump strainer and is easier to monitor for content and fullness during vacuuming.
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment