Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to buy calcium chloride in Orange County, CA

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy calcium chloride in Orange County, CA

Aside from my local pool store, do you know where I can find the recommended alternatives such as deicer? We don't have a need for deicer here in Southern Cali. I will need 38 lbs of Calcium Chloride this weekend after a RO treatment. it's $66 for a 50 lb bucket of Hardness Plus from Leslie's which is OK I guess. I shouldn't ever need any more for a few years if I do things right.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy calcium chloride in Orange County, CA

Try the pool sections hat hardware stores, the Local Ace hardware has Calcium Increaser in very nice screw top 5 gallon pails for about $25 here.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You may wish to give these guys a call: Calcium Chloride - Hill Brothers Chemical Co.

They're located in the OC area. If they don't sell directly to consumers, maybe they can provide a source locally that's cheaper than the PS.

EDIT:

Never mind - they don't sell directly to consumers and don't have a distributor near you. They did suggest you contact a nearby concrete ready mixing company to see if they have any around that they would sell you.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I think I'll just buy the PS hardener. After I start the BBB method, I won't have to ever buy it again anyway, until the tap water I add in necessitates another RO filtration.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I would suggest testing to see what your levels are after the RO treatment - before adding anything. When you add the calcium, try to stay on the low end of the recommended levels refilling do to evaporation will certainly cause the CH to increase over time.

If you don't mind me asking, what's an RO treatment cost in Orange County nowadays?
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

The RO cost me $500 (normally $550, but he had a coupon). I highly recommend him. I'll copy a yelp review I have later on.