Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help, back washing every day!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help, back washing every day!

I've looked through this forum and have an idea that I may have algae but was hoping to pick your all' brains just a bit. I have a brand new pool put up in Feburary. 18' above ground with a 1 hp Hayward sand filter. I was told normal operating pressure was 14-16 psi and I normally backwash at 20. As of the last 4/5 days I'm backwashing every day. The folks at the pool store say it's normal for a little while but if it persists to call them back. Anyone care to offer any perspective or opinions? I would appreciate it greatly!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Please help, back washing every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dus10 View Post
    I've looked through this forum and have an idea that I may have algae but was hoping to pick your all' brains just a bit. I have a brand new pool put up in Feburary. 18' above ground with a 1 hp Hayward sand filter. I was told normal operating pressure was 14-16 psi and I normally backwash at 20. As of the last 4/5 days I'm backwashing every day. The folks at the pool store say it's normal for a little while but if it persists to call them back. Anyone care to offer any perspective or opinions? I would appreciate it greatly!
    It is hard to give advise without an accurate set of test results from your pool.

How do you test your water? How often do you test?

How do you maintain FC?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i have the 5 way test strips I use to test atleast every two days. In the summer it's been every day since my wife and daughters swim every day while I work. We normally shock every 2 weeks that jacks the FC up. Other than the day following the shock and while people are swimming I have a floater with one of the 3" tabs in it. I know the test strips aren't exactly accurate to a point, but being a noob they are what I'm comfortable with for now.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

To be frank:

Test strips = guess strips. Basically useless. There is a link in my signature for test kits.
    "Shock" = put useless/problematic stuff in the pool.
    Floater = more problems.
    Pool store = $$$$

If you are willing to take control of your pool and start saving money we are ready to help!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

I got rid of the algae dust in our pool by vacuuming to waste a couple of times and back washing right after. I did this about 4 times and since then have been good. Its frustrating for sure!
    2001 pool built-Remodel date unknown-Size of Pool: 15,200 gallons-Salt Water In-Ground Pool-Vinyl liner-Pentair Triton II Sand Filter-Pentair Intellichlor C20 pool cell-Pentair single speed pool pump (i think)-Polaris PB4-60 pressure cleaner booster- 4 way tester

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by adeprekel View Post
    I got rid of the algae dust in our pool by vacuuming to waste a couple of times and back washing right after. I did this about 4 times and since then have been good. Its frustrating for sure!
    I think that's what I'm gonna try next, thanks a bunch!