Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG unable to keep PH in check

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG unable to keep PH in check

Just put a new Hayward SWG to my 27k vinyl pool. Works great. Unable to keep and maintain correct PH. After about 5 days of it being balanced will trend to over 8.
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    Alk 80
    Ca 70
    Cya 50
    Saturation index 0.2

I know my cya is on low side so slowly adding more. When I go to correct PH it only requires about 2 quarts of muriatic acid and will get me back down to 7.4. Is it all because of my low cya levels? Any thoughts.
    First time posting so let me know what I'm missing.
    Thanks this site is great

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG unable to keep PH in check

SWG's tend to make the pH rise due to the aeration the SWG makes. Lowering the TA down to 60 should help slow down the rise in the pH.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Will just give it time to let alk lower on its own.

4. Back To Top    #4

That may or may not work depending on how much fill water you add and what the TA and pH are of the fill water.

During the winter I can easily drive the TA down in my pool as I add very little fill water, but right now I have to actively lower the TA to drop it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Good point. Will add acid and try to get it balanced that way.
    Thanks again
    Mike

6. Back To Top    #6

SWG pool here. One tip might be to increase your CYA to lower your TC loss daily and thus dial back your SWG run time. Regardless, you are likely to be adding acid with some regularity.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes slowly increasing cya trying to get it closer to 70. And yes lower run time of generator.