Pool balance help

Jun 15, 2016
Nichols, SC
I just had to do a major shocking toy pool bc my pump was down for a little over two weeks. The algae is now gone, but it's a little cloudy. I can see the bottom in the shallow end, but not the deep in. I have a SWG that usually runs on 20%, which usually keeps the chlorine levels good. I checked chemicals today and below is what I have. I've used the pool calculator to see what I need to do about the ph and TA, but I'm concerned about the FC being at zero only a few days after having been shocked and with the SWG being on 20%. (And I use the blue Taylor's kit to test my pool water.)

Help is appreciated!

FC: 0
CC: .5
pH: 8+
TA: 70
CYA: around 70-80 (the best I can tell bc this test is hard to read)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Blue Taylor kit? K-2005 or 2006? Do you have the R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops) to test FC and CC? That's critical right now. You need to "SLAM" (link below) to get rid of the algae. That cloudiness means you still have algae suspended in the water. With a CYA of 70, your SLAM FC level should be "28" to kill the algae. Follow the instructions on the SLAM page and you'll do well. But make sure to lower that pH to 7.2 FIRST before increasing to SLAM FC level. :)

Innocent question.
Just because the pump is broken, why would you get algae?
If you keep the FC high enough, and you can distribute by brushing, you wouldn't get algae, would you?
You won't get algae. I went 2 weeks in the AZ summer without a pump. Dirty, but no algae.

I am going to edit this to say, that algae might be avoided if the FC is adequate and thoroughly mixed, which is hard to do with no pump running.

I just rechecked my CYA and it's actually closer to 30...I've add muriatic acid based on the pool calculator to lower the pH. Once I get it down, do you think I still need to slam? The pool is cloudy, which I'm assuming is due to the dead algae...I don't see any actual green algae. Ither than the cloudiness the pool water is normal. I added a little chlorine and turned the SWG up. When I checked it later it was up to a FC of 1. I have the Taylor K-2006 with the powder and the drops. I have been brushing and vacuuming and the pump has been running 24/7 since we got it hooked back up on Sunday.
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Blue Taylor kit? K-2005 or 2006? Do you have the R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops) to test FC and CC? That's critical right now. You need to "SLAM" (link below) to get rid of the algae. That cloudiness means you still have algae suspended in the water. With a CYA of 70, your SLAM FC level should be "28" to kill the algae. Follow the instructions on the SLAM page and you'll do well. But make sure to lower that pH to 7.2 FIRST before increasing to SLAM FC level. :)

I'm almost positive you'll need to SLAM. The cloudiness could be an algae bloom in its infant stages. If you're not convinced, do an overnight (OCLT) test. To do that test, you'll need to increase FC to a min 3 ppm - in your case I'd say about 6-8 ppm to start would be better. If you are finding it difficult to even do that, then you definitely need to SLAM. :) Algae is tearing-up your FC.

The key is to keep adding regular bleach "often", say every 15 minutes or so, until you break that FC consumption cycle and get it to hold. But I believe a SLAM will serve you well right now (link below). Hope that helps.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Thanks! I can't do it tonight, but I will tomorrow night. In the meantime my SWG is on, and I added a little liquid chlorine this afternoon. I'll add more liquid chlorine (bleach) tomorrow based on the pool calculator to increase it 6-8 ppm and do the overnight test. IF I check my pH in the morning and it's still high, should I continue to use the calculator to determine how much muriatic acid to add? On my last test my TA was testing at 70 and the pH needed 4 drops in the test to lower it to where it needed to be in the sample. Thanks again!

I did the overnight test last night. Last night the FC was almost 3 and the CC was 0. CYA is only 20 right now but my stabilizer is coming in today. I turned the SWG off, and this This morning the FC was 1.5 and CC was 0. The pH is now good at 7.6. The pool is not cloudy at all any more and is completely clear. D o you still think I need to SLAM, or do you think it's good now and will maintain FC once I get the CYA up today? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 12
Do an OCLT tonight, that will tell you if you are done yet.

Also, the minimum FC for 20 CYA is 2, so you are under it if you didn't add any this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I added bleach this morning and turned the SWG on. I'll add the CYA when it comes in and overnight test again tonight. I'm in SC, and we're having 100 degree really sunny days. So it's hard to keep the FC up during the day while my CYA is down. Thanks again!

Yes, the heat is coming! For your next OCLT, of course you'll have the SWG off, but I would also recommend (with bleach) increasing FC more than just 3 ppm for this one test - more like somewhere between 6-8. I think in your case it will provide a much better indication of your true FC loss overnight and should also ensure you don't dip below your minimum while you're asleep. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.