Owner Build W/ Rock Blasting - Loomis, CA - Equipment List HELP

Re: New Owner Build Pool with Rock Blasting - Loomis, CA

did they tell you anything about keeping it watered to help with curing?

They didn't say anything about keeping it watered but we had some rain on Sunday and the skies were grey all day yesterday after the pour. The curing process seemed really slow due to the lower temps and lack of direct sunlight as everything was still pretty green this morning. I applied some water to the everything today at 1:00 and hopefully that will also help it to cure to maximum strength.

What has your experience been with concrete curing?

The slide has been ordered, below is the revised layout. The entry point to the pool is in the same spot but the start location has been moved. We decided to change the layout so it didn't impede on the upper lawn as much. The other design would have cut the lawn in half making it less usable.

Yeah, the one thing about putting access/things in upper areas is that you have to be able to get to them. By doing this I assume the slide entrance will be right near the top of your slope? Easy access with some built in steps right there and you don't have to scurry further up onto that lawn.

Thanks needsajet!

Slowly but surely making progress. The form boards from the first pour have been removed. We started forming additional walls for the slide area and will start the walls on the backside of the spa after the rain that is due to hit tomorrow through the weekend.

Some additional walls were poured on Wednesday. The water slide is going to be located on the other side of these wall and wrap around the rock to the upper level.

On the far side of the wall (where the lumber is stacked) we are going to build a concrete area for half court basketball)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We have family coming for Thanksgiving so the unofficial completion date is by then. Originally we were hoping for the end of October but the hardscape around the pool is taking longer than anticipated.

We are now realizing why people say owner builds take so long. Trying to juggle work along with this project is making progress very slow. Not sure we are going to be as far along by Thanksgiving as we wanted to be but we are making slow steps forward. We poured more concrete but that is basically it for now. I will update a picture or two tomorrow.

With that said, we need to get the equipment ordered. We have decided to go with an SWG system but would like feedback on the equipment schedule below. Are we missing anything? Should we change out anything? I believe our pool is about 40,000 with an 8,000.

Also, help with these questions would be great!
1. The guy helping us didn't think I needed two Pentair clean and clear 540's however our pool designer has 2 listed on the equipment schedule. Thoughts on the filter quantity?

2. Pentair Heater 460737 - Does anyone have this heater? Is it worth paying a little more for the ASME certified heater? We will mainly use this for the spa only and would like the most efficient heater possible (off propane).

3. Is the Easy Touch Controller system with intellichlor IC60 the best option for our application? Are there any parts we are missing (see list below)? Both my wife and I grew up with standard chlorine pools and have no experience with SWG. Simply going off all the good reviews.

4. Cleaner - I picked up an "open box Pentair Racer" earlier this summer as it was on our equipment list. Should we stick with this cleaner and a booster pump or change to a robot cleaner? We have a large sun shelf area, do either the racer or a robot clean this area? If a robot is recommended, which one?

Thanks in advance for your help. We are hoping to order in the next few days so all feedback will be taken into consideration.

Is the pool and spa getting plumbed separate from each other? How many jets will be in the spa?

1.) One filter is plenty, the one you have listed is a good one. The only other option I would consider is a Quad 100 (Pentair). There is no reason for the second filter.

2.) The MasterTemp heater is a decent unit. The ASME version is completely unnecessary. Given the choice, I'd opt for the Raypak 399k propane heater. These units are the best thats out there and will integrate with your automation without issue ($1800).

3.) The ET8 and IC60 combo is a great unit and provides the best bang for the buck ($1800). You will definitely want the ScreenLogic 2 bundle (p/n 522104 - $380), its worth every penny.

4.) Dump the racer and booster pump and go with a robot. The money saved on the booster and a couple months electricity bills will easily pay for the robot. Look into Dolphin/Maytronics/Doheny.

* Not sure what the difference is in the Spa vs. Pool 5G light (maybe diameter), but I'm pretty sure my builder used three standard 5G lights, 2 for the pool and 1 for the spa. The lights look great. Since you are getting the Easytouch, you do not need the Intellibrite controller. The color changing of the lights is built into the Easytouch.

*Edit*... just noticed the Spa 5g light is just smaller in diameter. In all honesty, the color changing LED lights are not as bright as traditional incandescent pool lights. I would just get a full sized 5G light for the spa if the smaller niche isn't already installed (probably is).

* Not sure why you would need to two filters, but it seems a little overkill. The Intelliflo 011018 pump is not the VS + SVRS model. It is the standard Variable Speed model which is the most common VS pump they sell. Since your pool is a new build and they are probably required to put two main drains for anti-entrapment, I don't think the SVRS part is needed. Also, I use one 011018 pump for my pool filtering and spa. It has plenty of horsepower to work both functions.

* Easytouch can be ordered with the IC60 and pool/spa actuators in one kit. Since you are buying the Screenlogic2, their is no need for the Easytouch wireless controller. That is $650 wasted dollars. I would plumb the pool so you have the option of putting a suction or pressure side cleaner, but I would go straight to a robot. I have a barely used Zodiac MX8 sitting in our storage shed that worked good, but was such a hassle. The Dolphin Doheny Discovery is a 100 times better and way easier to manage.

Thank you for the feedback on the equipment, greatly appreciated!

If anyone else wants to chime in we are all ears. Any recommendations on what robot cleaner to buy (or stay away from)?

Below are some updated pictures:

Back to Brian's questions

How many gallons in pool? Are pool and spa plumed separate? How many jets?

If the pool and spa are plumbed separately you don't probably need a waterfall pump.unless it is just for the slide. Pentair makes waterfall pumps that are less expensive.

I'm no pump expert but I think your main pump is way oversized. Why ? And it doesn't have to be svrs. You have twin main drains and the doesn't run the spa. If you want the extra safety it should go in the spa which also has two drains I suspect.

I think your main pump should be 1.5 hp.

That should be enough to provide filtering and solar. It's probably enough for the slide to if you don't mind solar heated water on the slide. I say probably because I can't guarantee that it can do the two lifts if you were to have solar and the slide on at the same time.

So unless you are a really big pg&e shareholder, I'd go with the 1.5 hp pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.