New Pump Needed?

Dec 2, 2008
I have an 12 x 24 inground pool with a vinyl lining. The pool is about 3 years old.

The last few weeks I noticed that the suction from the skimmer to the filter is weak and also the jet stream going from the filter back to the pool is also weak.

The pressure on the filter itself is normal (8 - 10psi).

I clean the filter every week and removed any part that I can from the pump, to make sure there is no debris in it (none found).

Any ideas on why the suction and the jet stream are weak?

Yes, the pressure gauge is good. It's about 1 year old along with the filter.

The pressure drops to 0 (zero) when the pump is turned off.

The filter is a Unicel canister about 15 inches high. I clean the filter everyweek by removing it and taking the hose to it.

Ah, missed that part about cleaning the filter that you mentioned in the first post.

Does the pump have a clear lid? Does it look like it is fully primed or are you seeing a lot of air in the strainer?

It would be worth taking the filter out to make sure it hasn't been hit hard by pollen or anything since the last cleaning and to check that it is properly seated.

When you took the pump apart, did you get all the way down to the impeller to check for blockages?

And welcome to TFP, by the way! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.