SWCG Cleaning

Feb 14, 2016
McKinney. TX
Installed a Circupool SWCG in early March. The manual is minimal and says, depending on your water quality, you might have to clean the plates once or twice a year. The control box does have a light that comes on when the plates need cleaning, but you can also see the plates through the housing (see pics).
swg1.jpgswg2.jpg

As you might be able to see, the lower edge of the plate has a thin line of buildup on it, as do the terminal posts that attach to the plates. The service light is not on...so guessing it doesn't need cleaning as yet (and the unit is happily generating chlorine). So the questions are: Has anyone seen buildup like this...did you clean it at this stage?? Second, the manual says to use the wooden "plate cleaner" (actually looks like half a paint stir stick) to knock the scale off...doesn't mention anything about using acid. I see from other posts that folks use a 4:1 water:acid mix to soak plates. Has anyone tried CLR? Would that be "gentler" than muriatic?? Thanks.

curcupool has opted not to use acid, acid will take life off your SWG.. that stick is if the coating gets thick, you just knock it off.. Mine is just like yours, no issues at all and I have not needed to use the paint stick yet :)

If you keep your CSI in the lower range in poolmath -0.3 to 0.0 it will stay nice and clean :)

curcupool has opted not to use acid, acid will take life off your SWG.. that stick is if the coating gets thick, you just knock it off.. Mine is just like yours, no issues at all and I have not needed to use the paint stick yet :)

If you keep your CSI in the lower range in poolmath -0.3 to 0.0 it will stay nice and clean :)

Thanks. My concern is not so much the plates, but I'm getting fairly heavy buildup on the metal connectors between the plates and the base...not really enough room to use the stick in there. I've written to Circupool to ask the best way to clean that...no response as yet. Strange that they recommend a dilute acid solution to clean their other models. Time will tell....

It is all caused by the same problem scale build up. It affects all SWGs. The answer, as Casey said, is to maintain your CSI between -0.3 and 0. I have not needed to clean my cell in 4+ years. Diluted MA or vinegar will dissolve the scale but it will also shorten the life of your cell.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

You can also use a smaller piece of wood such as chop sticks to clean the cell.

The service light does not mean that the cell needs to be cleaned. It is just a warning to inspect the cell to see if it needs to be cleaned and it will light up after a set amount of run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.