Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG Cleaning

Installed a Circupool SWCG in early March. The manual is minimal and says, depending on your water quality, you might have to clean the plates once or twice a year. The control box does have a light that comes on when the plates need cleaning, but you can also see the plates through the housing (see pics).
    swg1.jpgswg2.jpg

As you might be able to see, the lower edge of the plate has a thin line of buildup on it, as do the terminal posts that attach to the plates. The service light is not on...so guessing it doesn't need cleaning as yet (and the unit is happily generating chlorine). So the questions are: Has anyone seen buildup like this...did you clean it at this stage?? Second, the manual says to use the wooden "plate cleaner" (actually looks like half a paint stir stick) to knock the scale off...doesn't mention anything about using acid. I see from other posts that folks use a 4:1 water:acid mix to soak plates. Has anyone tried CLR? Would that be "gentler" than muriatic?? Thanks.
    12,000 gallon, in-ground, Lunar Quartz-Bermuda finish. Pentair Intelliflo Pump and Pentair cartridge filer. Polaris 280 pool sweep. Circupool SJ40 SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: SWCG Cleaning

curcupool has opted not to use acid, acid will take life off your SWG.. that stick is if the coating gets thick, you just knock it off.. Mine is just like yours, no issues at all and I have not needed to use the paint stick yet

If you keep your CSI in the lower range in poolmath -0.3 to 0.0 it will stay nice and clean
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    curcupool has opted not to use acid, acid will take life off your SWG.. that stick is if the coating gets thick, you just knock it off.. Mine is just like yours, no issues at all and I have not needed to use the paint stick yet

If you keep your CSI in the lower range in poolmath -0.3 to 0.0 it will stay nice and clean
    Thanks. My concern is not so much the plates, but I'm getting fairly heavy buildup on the metal connectors between the plates and the base...not really enough room to use the stick in there. I've written to Circupool to ask the best way to clean that...no response as yet. Strange that they recommend a dilute acid solution to clean their other models. Time will tell....
    12,000 gallon, in-ground, Lunar Quartz-Bermuda finish. Pentair Intelliflo Pump and Pentair cartridge filer. Polaris 280 pool sweep. Circupool SJ40 SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is all caused by the same problem scale build up. It affects all SWGs. The answer, as Casey said, is to maintain your CSI between -0.3 and 0. I have not needed to clean my cell in 4+ years. Diluted MA or vinegar will dissolve the scale but it will also shorten the life of your cell.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You can also use a smaller piece of wood such as chop sticks to clean the cell.

The service light does not mean that the cell needs to be cleaned. It is just a warning to inspect the cell to see if it needs to be cleaned and it will light up after a set amount of run time.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process