'Slippery Water' and TA Question

Jul 4, 2014
New Orleans
Hey All,

First, let me say what a great site this is. I've been using the TFP method for my Intex pool for three years and it's been great --- real stress-free. An ounce of prevention is truly worth more than a pound of cure...

This year I moved to a new place and got a new replacement for my 14' Intex AGP. I replaced it with an identical one since the old had sprung leaks in the move and that size works for us, with kids being so little.

I opened the pool using the same TFP method I have in the past and don't have any real problems that I can tell, except my water feels just really 'slippery'...not slimy exactly but different than I'm used to, and is leaving my hands feeling a little sticky once it starts to dry. It's never done this before, but I can think of a difference now; previously I had very hard water in a city, and now I've moved out a ways and while I'm still on city water it's *very* soft.

Does this seem normal?

For reference, I'm using a Taylor 2006 test kit (refills ordered from this site and shipped fast!) and am shooting to meet the TFP recommended levels for a SWG system with sand pump that has been fully backwashed (though I've not yet opened it up and used the magical hose method...)

My levels are pretty spot-on except for alkalinity, which started out at 120 and even after reducing Ph and aerating many times this week with a PVC fountain I made, just refuses to fall below 90. Could that be any issue?

Thanks in advance

It just sounds like soft water to me. My TA has been much higher than that for a while. Use your Taylor kit to do the calcium hardness test, and add calcium if you don't like it. I'm personally trying to add borates to my pool to make the water softer or "slippier" because we like it. But to do that, I have to get my TA down. I was at 250ppm, aiming for 60. I hope I don't get stuck at 90.

Welcome to TFP (officially, 3 years lurking, I love it :))

It sounds like the water change is what you are seeing, post up some numbers from you 2006 tonight and lets see if anyone see's anything "off" of something :)

TA can be a pain to come down but it will eventually..

Thanks y'all for the quick responses.

Full disclosure -- I just looked at my join date for this site and it's actually only been two years, though I suppose that makes this my third opening season, so there...

My levels based of proper testing are within the recommended TFP SWQ ranges except for TA still being ~ 20 high and calcium being practically non-existent. I'll give it a little time and re-evaluate if necessary whether it's worth adding anything to change it, going on the assumption that it's the softer water making the difference.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses!

As someone who lives in an area with very hard water and has a water softener in the house to make the water more slippier, I can say with 100% confidence that it's the calcium. Enjoy! Some people kill for that kind of water! :)

On a serious side though, some hardness isn't a terrible thing. So if you really don't like it, add a little, and see if it helps. Just don't overdo it, you won't like that either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.