HTH Test Results - Total Chlorine & Bromine Brown Results

Jun 12, 2016
Spring/texas
Hello

Please let me know how to resolve Total Chlorine & Bromine with Orange/Brown test results (twice tested).

Test Kit: HTH 6-way
Chlorine/Bromine: Orange/Brown
PH: 6.8
ALK: 100+
Hardness: 420
CYA: 90
Other: bottom of pool has developed grey patches over the past year and growing. Water is clear with no unusual smell. Pool 8-9 years old (in ground/plaster)​

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Forget about bromine ... you don't have it.

With a orange/brown OTO results, you FC is high (like in the 20s).
Also of concern is that the pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... so with a report of 6.8, it must be very very low which is not good for your liner.

What have you been adding?

I urge you to make the investment to get one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Welcome to TFP :)

Your free chlorine is in the 15 to 25 range, you really need a FAS-DPD free chlorine test, it will allow you to test up to FC50..

If you want, check out the link "test kits" below :)

Thank you both for your input. I have followed the same chemical method from previous home owner instructing me to add 1lb shock weekly. About twice a year I get mustard algae but the yellow out seems to do the trick. We have had a lot of rain this year (Houston area) and I have added twice the amount of shock but haven't done so in a week until I get more understanding with test results. This is the first time using this new test kit (normally have Leslie's test). Just hoping I can find a solution without spending a fortune correcting the problem. Should I just shock the pool, and if so how much for 13.5k, or, try something else?

Well, clearly the previous homeowner had no idea what they were doing. Luckily you have found us.

If you want to save money, you need to invest in the test kit and keep asking questions here and learning.

We do not "shock" the pool ... when there is a problem you should follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

All that "shock" you keep adding is likely why your CYA appears to be too high. Ideally, the path forward is 50% water replacement followed by the SLAM process.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.