TA at 40 but PH holding steady at 7.5 for over a month

Mar 23, 2015
Liberty/Tx
I have a few questions for the expert folks here:

I have been consistently getting 7.5ph for months now but my TA has been low at 40. (Im using a brand new TFT-100 kit). Should I worry so much about my low TA if I'm getting great ph readings? Last year I had to dump tons of acid into the pool every two weeks to keep my ph levels down. Now it just sits there perfect.

Do I need to raise my TA to 80 even when I'm not having ph issues?

If so, can I add baking soda while my children swim?

Thanks in advance!

Your TA is lower than I'd be comfortable with especially if you don't have borates in your water. Since your pH is stable, it's ok but you should keep an eye on both as you don't want either of them to start drifting lower. You could adjust your TA up in 10ppm increments and see what effect that has on pH because at some point increasing your TA will cause your pH to start to creep up.

Your pool is not in any danger as long as you keep tabs on your pH and TA. They seem to have found a decent equilibrium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.