Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: heating the pool. pump or no pump during day?

1. Back To Top    #1

heating the pool. pump or no pump during day?

Hello and thank you..I have a 21 foot above ground in upstate ny...I dont get any sun until 1pm due to trees.. I have a 1hp pump that I use to filter, I was wondering the quickest way to heat up the pool on a warm day? I use a solar cover, am I best to run the pump during the warm part or day? or does this actually cool the pool? Im not sure if its better to circulate the water during the hot sun, or if i should leave the water still so it bakes in the sun? I have trouble getting my pool temps much above 76 in the summer, and im trying to figure out ways to raise it..right now the temp is 58. but we are looking at a 88 degree day, and im not sure if I should turn the pump on now, or wait till sun starts to go down....thank you, Pete
    20,000 gal. Vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb. sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: heating the pool. pump or no pump during day?

Running the pump during the hottest part of the day is best, but it is only a small difference. Using a solar cover makes a much larger difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School