Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter 1500 no suction

Jun 15, 2016
NE Kansas
First I'm going to apologize because I don't know the technical terms for things. Hopefully I can get my point across without confusing anyone. We just bought our first pool, the Intex 18x9 rectangular ultra frame, and we got everything set up, ground level etc. I prime the pump like the instructions direct and turn on the pump to filter and notice that the outlet from the filter into the pool is pushing water out great. I go to check the suctions from the two inlets from the pool to the filter and there is no suction. I checked the pressure and it is in the green right below the yellow.

We have tried priming it again, tried cleaning everything, checked all connections etc. Everything seems to be working well except the suction. Maybe I'm just not sure how this goes and maybe I won't feel suction. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly since I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

It is designed that way to have less suction to avoid entrapment of children against the suction inlet. As long as the pressure gauge is good and water outlet pressure is good everything is fine. If water flow drops or the pressure gauge rises 20-25% the backwash the filter.

Yes they are all right you shouldn't feel any suction at all. You would here an intex pump whine if you had a suction issue. I found sometimes if you feel the return jet has a low flow, go to the hose between the pump and the sand filter an loosen a bit till water comes out this will relief the air caught in the system.
But again like everyone said the guage will tell you everything.
Hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.