Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy

Good morning everyone,

Just need some encouragement.
    I passed the OCLT 2 consecutive nights in a row and pool is clear. I ran a back wash Sunday. Monday pool is cloudy again. Clear from above and clear in the water for about 10 ft but from one end to another not clear. We have had some windy days and a lot of debris in the pool. I don't image that would cause cloudiness.

History - Just got the CYA to 35 last week. Have been using DE to help with filtration but that was back washed out last week.

FC - 5.5
    TA - 120
    PH - 7.2
    CH - 110
    CYA - 35/40

any ideas??

Please and thank you
    23000 gallon inground pool, Vinyl liner with hayward sand filter, 1.5hp hayward pump with TF-100 test kit. Raypak P-R266A pool Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy

Hi. Are you running the pump continuously? Only until it clears up. If the water isn't circulating it's not being cleaned. I find that if I turn cloudy that I need to run a lot longer than I normally do to clear it otherwise I can't catch up. Doesn't seem to be a chlorine issue so it would seem it needs to be filtered to get everything out. btw, I'm more expert on making my pool cloudy than on clearing it up so others may have better advice.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by joe111 View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Just need some encouragement.
    I passed the OCLT 2 consecutive nights in a row and pool is clear. I ran a back wash Sunday. Monday pool is cloudy again. Clear from above and clear in the water for about 10 ft but from one end to another not clear. We have had some windy days and a lot of debris in the pool. I don't image that would cause cloudiness.

History - Just got the CYA to 35 last week. Have been using DE to help with filtration but that was back washed out last week.

FC - 5.5
    TA - 120
    PH - 7.2
    CH - 110
    CYA - 35/40

any ideas??

Please and thank you
    You mention passing an OCLT & clear water, were your CC's 0.5ppm or less for those 2 consecutive days also?

Could you also post a current CC level?

If this were my pool I would do another OCLT. If your filter was adequate up to, & during the SLAM why wouldn't it be now?

I would do another OCLT to make sure it is not something organic. The remedy for cloudy water is almost always chlorine.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed raise FC to 9 or so, so you can still test PH, for a few days and see how the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test looks.

When is the last time the sand filter had a good cleaning? Maybe it is time, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

OCLT was .5 first day and second day 0.
    Current CC - 5.5

I was going to do another slam tonight and see what happens. Sand filter had a deep cleanse mid season last year.

thanks everyone for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry
    CC - 0
    FC - 5.5
    23000 gallon inground pool, Vinyl liner with hayward sand filter, 1.5hp hayward pump with TF-100 test kit. Raypak P-R266A pool Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Starting slam on Wednesday.

Thursday night
    CC .5
    FC 24

This morning
    CC .5
    FC 23.5

Water is clear should I be good or should I continue to slam?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by joe111 View Post
    Starting slam on Wednesday.

Thursday night
    CC .5
    FC 24

This morning
    CC .5
    FC 23.5

Water is clear should I be good or should I continue to slam?
    technically it appears that you have passed all 3 criteria to complete a SLAM but if it was me I would go one more day and do another OCLT tonight to be safe. What's one more day after all of that hard work? Do a good scrub of all nooks and crannies also, (ladder, lights, etc.)
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Have you inspected behind the light, ladder, behind the stairs? Any water features (rock, waterfall, slide, etc) where algae could be hiding?

When you say clear, can you tell whether the screws on the main drain are phillips or flat head? If no main drain, did you do the quarter test... put a quarter in the deep end and tell if it is heads or tails?

When you did the OCLT, was the pump running all night?
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

I only have one ladder and nothing there.

I can see the screws on the main drain.

Pump has been running 24 hours since Wednesday. Was going to leave it on all weekend as well.