Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter cartridge

What's the average life span of a filter cartridge? Pool store said every year, mines 4 years old starting to show signs of wear. I know enough by reading forum pool stores are evil.. ok maybe not evil but definitely want you and your money to part ways.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter cartridge

Welcome to TFP!!

Is the pool store trying to sell you a new one? That might explain their recommendation.

I only use cartridge filters in stand alone spas and have had them last well past five years if cleaned regularly and taken care of. In my current spa I purchased a second filter on line and swap them back and forth.

We generally advise to take most recommendations from pool stores with a grain of salt. They are in the position of giving advice that may be financially beneficial to themselves so there is always that conflict of interest to worry about.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome, yes told me to throw away maybe cartridge is wrong word its a jandy cs250, pressure stays pretty low I clean monthly

4. Back To Top    #4

I replaced mine after 3 years, I still keep it on hand and use it as a spare while I'm cleaning the new one.
    11K gal, fiberglass, 1 HP Hayward tristar pump, cartridge filter, Aqua Plus SWG, 3 MagicStream Laminars

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Roscop01 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, yes told me to throw away maybe cartridge is wrong word its a jandy cs250, pressure stays pretty low I clean monthly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Might I ask how much they want your to "throw away" for the new cartridge?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes you may.. 145.99

7. Back To Top    #7

After 5 years I bought a new set of cartridges thinking they were nearing the end of their life. Well here I am in my 11th season and I still use the originals. They are not torn, and they still filter fine. I like having the extra set on hand so I can interchange them if I want to do a long thorough clean of one set while not having to rush to get them back in the filter.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes I will more active this season on the forum, I was "pool stored" once not a good feeling walking out with a bunch of chemicals you don't need

9. Back To Top    #9

Still using mine at 5 years, I have 2 sets so really they only are in 1/2 the time. Replace once a year? that's a total line of...
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    Still using mine at 5 years, I have 2 sets so really they only are in 1/2 the time. Replace once a year? that's a total line of...
    That's what I thought too..

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Roscop01 View Post
    Yes you may.. 145.99

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Less than I thought it would be. The Pleatco replacement is $133 on Amazon, so they are not totally gouging you considering their overhead to keep the lights on.

But, back to the original question, no they do not need to be replaced every year. As long as your pressures are good and there are no tears in the filter than no need to replace.

As I stated (confirmed by Mike & Bobby) having a second filter and swapping them out is not a bad idea.

12. Back To Top    #12

I appreciate the info, thanks again!

13. Back To Top    #13

I love my Pleatco replacement cartridges. They are amazingly better than the Pentair OEM filters.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach