Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return Jets and Circulation

1. Back To Top    #1
    Dallas Ft Worth

Return Jets and Circulation

How do you KNOW if your pool is circulating properly? I don't have any reason to believe mine is not...
    Pool: 33,000 Gallon IG Pool w/ Hot Tub, Plaster
    Filter: Triton Clean and Clear Plus (Pleatco PCC105 26" x 7" Filters)
    SWG: Heyward Aquarite Panel + New Cell Summer 2015
    Pumps: Intelliflo VFP + Polaris PB40-60
    Cleaner: Letro legend

2. Back To Top    #2
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: Return Jets and Circulation

"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream” — Vincent van Gogh.

Jk, if you have water being sucked/pulled into the skimmer and shooting out of the returns you can call it good. Another way to tell is to change settings on your filter (if you can?) from recirculate to filter and see if there is a change in gauge pressure. This would indicate normal circulation.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Re: Return Jets and Circulation

Some use ping pong balls to see how debris would act as it enters the pool moves around. That will give you an idea if you have any dead spots and aid in aiming the returns. Keep an eye on the pressure gauge on your filter when the PSI gets approx. 10% to 20% higher than it was when the filter was cleaned it is time to clean again for most that would be 2 to 3 PSI or so higher than it was when clean. I have seen posts that say you can go longer up to 8 PSI increase but most don't since you are losing flow at that point.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.