Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gauge pressure slowly decreased to 0 (new pump & filter)

1. Back To Top    #1

Gauge pressure slowly decreased to 0 (new pump & filter)

Hey everyone,

So I just bought a brand new Hayward Xstream cartridge filter/pump system. After setting up and turned on, it was reading a healthy 12 psi. However, I checked on it every hour or so and each time I noticed the pressure was a little less, before bed it was around 9. Then, when I woke up it was at 0. The basket is full of water, no visible air pockets, good flow on the outlet in the pool, air valve bled, and the pump noise sounds the same so I am at a loss here. The only thing is we have 1 or 2 very small leaks on the fitting between the pump and filter connection (1-2 drops a second or so) that I was going to deal with today after work.

This is my first time setting up a new system, our house came with the old pump/filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Gauge pressure slowly decreased to 0 (new pump & filter)

If the return flow is just as strong as when you started, I would suspect the gauge. Normally falling pressure indicates the skimmer or pump basket is clogged.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

How does your water look?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I shot the company an email too, I really don't want to flip the bill myself for a new gauge on a new filter if that's the case. These original gauges are expensive ($25) for this thing. Not sure if there are good, cheaper generics.

The water is doing o.k., it was green before last night since the old filter system wasn't cleaning the water properly (damaged/cracked housing). But today it looks how I would expect on a good pump, medium cloudy but blue (shocked last night too).

5. Back To Top    #5

Does the pressure go back up after cleaning the cartridge? Also a picture of the filter and equipment pad may help.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I vacuumed tonight with no issues (great suction), cleaned cartridge but still 0. Hayward got back to me already and is going to send me a new gauge for free, so hopefully that is the issue.

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not unusual to have low pressure on a cartridge filter due to the large surface area.
    What pump do you have?
    Do you have solar?

8. Back To Top    #8

The replacement pressure gauge from Hayward came this weekend and that was the issue. It looks like the old gauge had a leak and was filled with water.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!