SLAM prep

cj3737

Jun 14, 2016
North Ogden, UT
Hey guys...
Prepping for my slam this weekend..

Added 1 gal of bleach yesterday after finding out my FC levels were around 1. Calculations show it went up to around 7 which coinsides with my OTO results of 5-10. Tested with an old DPD kit that only reads up to 3 and it was wayyyyyy darker than the top reading. My K-2006 will be here today so I can get more accurate results...

Prior to adding bleach my PH was about 7.6.. 45 After adding it remained the same so I added 28oz of MA to bring it down to 7.1-7.2 (light reds are a challenge to read). Tested about 60 min later and it was down to 7.1ish.

Im going to assume the CC was in the same range as FC because it didn't change colors.

Tested TA and its sitting around 190 but I know that will come down just trying to maintain a lower PH.. No worries..

My concern is my CYA. Tested half a dozen times and still see a black dot meaning its well below 30 and has never disappeared.
According to the CYA chart, if I start my slam with a low CYA, I will have to target an FC of 3 and Shock of 10... correct?
Should I try to gradually increase my CYA prior to the slam or just stick with a low target until I can get close to passing the OCLT?

Is the CYA clear to the top of the tube, or a little cloudy? If it is clear, I would add enough to get to 20 CYA. If it's a little cloudy, I would hold off and use the target/slam numbers you mentioned.

Started CYA build up
Pre test
FC 12
cc 2
PH 7.5

Added 2lb of stabilizer

Post test
FC 11
cc 1
PH 7.1
Still no reading on CYA
Ran the bubble all the way to the top of the K-2006c but still saw the black dot...
How much more stabilizer should I add to get a reading?
Whats the average time to build the ph back up thru aeration? I have the timer set to run 3hrs 4 times a day and my jet is pointed up enuf to get a decent splash over the top of the water

Would like to start slamming friday morning if possible

How did you add the CYA?

It's going to take several days to get a good CYA reading. What CYA number did you target? Just assume that the target number has been reached when dosing chlorine. Look on the Chlorine/CYA chart for that CYA target number and dose the chlorine for that SLAM number.

<-----------------noob...
So I did the math wrong on my FC/CC level...Forgot to / by 2 using 10mil sample
Real levels..
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7.1
CyA....unknown

If I assume my target cya level, with an unreadable result, should I add just enuf cya to get there according to pool math? Id rather not overshoot and play the drain and fill game.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Learning quick! Yes, undershoot by a little, especially with pH adjusting things and CYA.

Thanks Mr Bruce...

Im thinking of adding the last 2lb from my container tonight which should get me to about 35 providing I was actually starting at 0.. even if I over shoot by 5 im still in the middle of the 30-50 range but having a readable result will make my life easier than playing the guessing game. Hopefully my ph will drift high enuf to add it this evening...

On the topic of PH drift, what is the average amount of time for a .5 drift with moderate aeration?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.