Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM prep

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM prep

Hey guys...
    Prepping for my slam this weekend..

Added 1 gal of bleach yesterday after finding out my FC levels were around 1. Calculations show it went up to around 7 which coinsides with my OTO results of 5-10. Tested with an old DPD kit that only reads up to 3 and it was wayyyyyy darker than the top reading. My K-2006 will be here today so I can get more accurate results...

Prior to adding bleach my PH was about 7.6.. 45 After adding it remained the same so I added 28oz of MA to bring it down to 7.1-7.2 (light reds are a challenge to read). Tested about 60 min later and it was down to 7.1ish.

Im going to assume the CC was in the same range as FC because it didn't change colors.

Tested TA and its sitting around 190 but I know that will come down just trying to maintain a lower PH.. No worries..

My concern is my CYA. Tested half a dozen times and still see a black dot meaning its well below 30 and has never disappeared.
    According to the CYA chart, if I start my slam with a low CYA, I will have to target an FC of 3 and Shock of 10... correct?
    Should I try to gradually increase my CYA prior to the slam or just stick with a low target until I can get close to passing the OCLT?
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: SLAM prep

Is the CYA clear to the top of the tube, or a little cloudy? If it is clear, I would add enough to get to 20 CYA. If it's a little cloudy, I would hold off and use the target/slam numbers you mentioned.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Is the CYA clear to the top of the tube, or a little cloudy? If it is clear, I would add enough to get to 20 CYA. If it's a little cloudy, I would hold off and use the target/slam numbers you mentioned.
    ITs slightly cloudy when its in the test bottle but pretty clear when its in the tube
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If it's clear in the tube I would shoot for 20 CYA and SLAM away. Good luck!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

5. Back To Top    #5

Does the brand of stabilizer matter?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Started CYA build up
    Pre test
    FC 12
    cc 2
    PH 7.5

Added 2lb of stabilizer

Post test
    FC 11
    cc 1
    PH 7.1
    Still no reading on CYA
    Ran the bubble all the way to the top of the K-2006c but still saw the black dot...
    How much more stabilizer should I add to get a reading?
    Whats the average time to build the ph back up thru aeration? I have the timer set to run 3hrs 4 times a day and my jet is pointed up enuf to get a decent splash over the top of the water

Would like to start slamming friday morning if possible
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

How did you add the CYA?

It's going to take several days to get a good CYA reading. What CYA number did you target? Just assume that the target number has been reached when dosing chlorine. Look on the Chlorine/CYA chart for that CYA target number and dose the chlorine for that SLAM number.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

8. Back To Top    #8

Added Cya with the hanging sock method in the return.. only took about and hour with a little assistance.
    Im targeting CYA 30... so i have a little wiggle room
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

<-----------------noob...
    So I did the math wrong on my FC/CC level...Forgot to / by 2 using 10mil sample
    Real levels..
    FC 5.5
    CC .5
    PH 7.1
    CyA....unknown

If I assume my target cya level, with an unreadable result, should I add just enuf cya to get there according to pool math? Id rather not overshoot and play the drain and fill game.
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Learning quick! Yes, undershoot by a little, especially with pH adjusting things and CYA.

11. Back To Top    #11

Learning quick! Yes, undershoot by a little, especially with pH adjusting things and CYA.
    Thanks Mr Bruce...

Im thinking of adding the last 2lb from my container tonight which should get me to about 35 providing I was actually starting at 0.. even if I over shoot by 5 im still in the middle of the 30-50 range but having a readable result will make my life easier than playing the guessing game. Hopefully my ph will drift high enuf to add it this evening...

On the topic of PH drift, what is the average amount of time for a .5 drift with moderate aeration?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

There is no way of knowing, it's a combination of things. It's not immediate, if that helps.

13. Back To Top    #13

There is no way of knowing, it's a combination of things. It's not immediate, if that helps.
    Yeah I kind figgerd... Should I start my slam as planned and worry about the TA later?
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yes, TA adjustment is for when you are looking at a sparkly pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sweet.. I throw a bit of CYa in tonight an haul the jugs of bleach out in the AM
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir