Cloudy cloudy cloudy

Jun 15, 2016
New Holland, PA
Well good morning all, I am a new pool owner to an approximate 8 year old pool that hasn't been used for probably 4 years. I was told that water was added a few years ago, but that was it. When I took the cover off I was terrified to see what looked like a black lagoon. Following everyone's recommendations I then shocked the pool and started the pump and filter. After a week of playing with chemicals and finally using the BBB method I now have pretty good if not perfect numbers on all tests except for hardness. Soooooo on to the problems....
1. Pool water is cloudy and not getting any better
2. My Hayward DE 3600 filter is running at 28
3. The water dries out my skin terribly
4. I still see little pieces of sediment floating around the pool when I stir up the water
Yes I have vacuumed, yes I have added a clarifier, yes I have scrubbed the walls and floor with a brush.
I am going to try a different clarifier today because I threw out the bottle and don't know the brand I used.
I am considering replacing the pump basket gasket because it doesn't look in the best of shape and there is obviously a probably with pressure because of the 28 reading all the time. I have back washed and pulled out the fins and cleaned them. I did not soak the fins in TSP or acid, they look clean, but maybe they aren't. The pump has been running 23 hours a day for 8 days with no improvement. Any advice would be welcome.
Tests as of this morning
pH is 7. It was 7.2 yesterday
Alkalinity is 150 yesterday was 140
Chlorine is 0 was 3 yesterday
Hardness is 100.
CYA is 30

Welcome to TFP!

How does that 28 lbs of pressure compare to clean filter pressure, and how long since you've backwashed the filter or disassembled the filter to clean it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.