Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy cloudy cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy cloudy cloudy

Well good morning all, I am a new pool owner to an approximate 8 year old pool that hasn't been used for probably 4 years. I was told that water was added a few years ago, but that was it. When I took the cover off I was terrified to see what looked like a black lagoon. Following everyone's recommendations I then shocked the pool and started the pump and filter. After a week of playing with chemicals and finally using the BBB method I now have pretty good if not perfect numbers on all tests except for hardness. Soooooo on to the problems....
    1. Pool water is cloudy and not getting any better
    2. My Hayward DE 3600 filter is running at 28
    3. The water dries out my skin terribly
    4. I still see little pieces of sediment floating around the pool when I stir up the water
    Yes I have vacuumed, yes I have added a clarifier, yes I have scrubbed the walls and floor with a brush.
    I am going to try a different clarifier today because I threw out the bottle and don't know the brand I used.
    I am considering replacing the pump basket gasket because it doesn't look in the best of shape and there is obviously a probably with pressure because of the 28 reading all the time. I have back washed and pulled out the fins and cleaned them. I did not soak the fins in TSP or acid, they look clean, but maybe they aren't. The pump has been running 23 hours a day for 8 days with no improvement. Any advice would be welcome.
    Tests as of this morning
    pH is 7. It was 7.2 yesterday
    Alkalinity is 150 yesterday was 140
    Chlorine is 0 was 3 yesterday
    Hardness is 100.
    CYA is 30
    In ground 16x32 rectangle vinyl liner pool
    Hayward DE 3600 filter
    1hp century pump
    Pool has 8 ft deep end with diving board
    About 8 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy cloudy cloudy

Welcome to TFP!

How does that 28 lbs of pressure compare to clean filter pressure, and how long since you've backwashed the filter or disassembled the filter to clean it?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Here is how we fix a swamp.
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

It's always been 28. No matter what has been done it climbs to that reading right away. I last backwashed two days ago and 3 days since I tore the whole thing apart for a cleaning.
    In ground 16x32 rectangle vinyl liner pool
    Hayward DE 3600 filter
    1hp century pump
    Pool has 8 ft deep end with diving board
    About 8 years old