Large Scale Organic Staining

StevoA

Jun 15, 2016
Clyde/Texas
We recently purchased a house with about a 28 thousand gallon pool. It was abandoned for two years. I have some pool experience and it took a lot of work but after weeks of work it is blue and clear.
However on the sides of the pool is organic staining especially deep end. Two questions...is there a large scale brush I can attach chlorine tabs to, to brush the sides? I have the pole attachment where you can attach one chlorine tab to but this would take forever with the amount of stain/scale to remove. I have used wire concrete brush increased chlorine levels and brushed and brushed and brushed. Is there any chemicals that won't disrupt swim season too much to get rid of these stains? Bottom of pool is concrete. Thanks for your help.

Hello Steve and welcome! :wave: For organic stains, the best thing you can do without draining is simply increase the FC close to SLAM level based on your current CYA as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). If the pool sat that long to get the stains, they won't disappear right away, but in time and with consistent brushing it should help. Tabs work to identify isolated areas, but it would be a painstaking job to try and do a whole pool that way I would think. Not sure of any brush that would work for that either. Maybe someone else will.

Also, when you get a moment make sure to go to your profile setting and update your signature with your pool type and equipment. Good luck, and nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!

As Pat mentions elevated chlorine level and brushing is the best way to remove organic stains. It is safe to swim with elevated chlorine levels up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Add your pool info to your signature and post some test results and we'll see if we can help further. More here on signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thank you! I have updated signature. Was just hoping there was some sort of large scale brush I could attach multiple tabs to. Even though the water is good, it is unsightly for pool parties. Was hoping for a quicker fix but doesn't look like that is a possibility. Here is current readings.

FC - 5
CC - 5
pH 7.4
TA - 120
CH - 1000
CYA - 50

Your FC target is 6 on a normal day. Since you are looking at trying to take a bite out of stains, I would consider increasing that to around 10-12 for a week or so. It's a bit stronger which should help slowly work on those stains, but is still well below your SLAM level.

On a side note, keep a close eye on your CSI level in the Poolmath calculator. You're approaching the high-end for possible scale. Even though you can't lower CH without exchanging water, you can lower CSI considerably by lowering your TA down to 60-70. Something to watch. :)

Since the pool is more than a year old and the plaster is well cured you can use a stainless steel pool brush for more aggressive brushing. As Pat mentioned, keep your FC up at 10-12. Keep in mind that the PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. So, let it drop down to test PH.

Are you familiar with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]? Chlorine level is set based on CYA, keep it above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free. And up to shock level for killing algae. It is safe to swim with FC above minimum and below shock level.

Yes, +1 to managing your CSI. Your CH is very high with potential for scaling. Poolmath will calculate your CSI for you after you enter your test results. You want to target CSI of -0.3 to 0. PH, TA and CH are the main influences on CSI. Tweak those numbers in Poolmath and it will recalculate your CSI for you.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Thanks for you guys help...I did what you said and brought the chlorine levels up to 12. We won't be swimming this week so I'm attacking these stains while I can. I can already see improvement. As far as the CH. I must of made a mistake with testing (still new to kit). I took a sample to the pool store and it was 320. Thanks again guys!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.