New Pentair Pump wiring. Please help

Jun 2, 2014
Atlanta, ga
I need some help pleeeeeease. I just purchased a new Pentair Superflo 1HP Dual Speed pump. Thanks to someone's suggestion in this forum! The good news, I installed the pump and it works great. You can hardly hear it. I'm having trouble with the Dual speed toggle switch. I'm obviously not putting the wires in the right place. I have 3 wires going from the wall to the pump. They are green, white and red. The green one is easy. Please see pictures attached. I put the green one on the green screw. I guess that's the ground. I put the white one on the number 1 top slot. I put the red one on the bottom number 3 slot. Again the motor runs great. What I can't seem to figure out is the toggle switch. There are 3 colors. I put the white one on number 3 and I put the yellow one on number 2. Where does the black one go? I can't figure it out and I don't want to break the darn thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3473 (1).JPG
IMG_3472.jpg
IMG_3474 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Terminal 1 is your 'common line' or Line 1 120v (which normally always has power running to it)
Terminal 2 is your high speed switch line or Line 2 120v line (when it gets power it switches on the pump to high speed)
Terminal '3 or 4' is your low speed switch line or Line 2 120v line (when it gets power it switches on the pump to low speed)
Terminal 2 and '3 or 4' cannot have power on at the same time or you will damage your pump....

The toggle switch essentially switches power between Terminal 2 and Terminal '3 or 4' and also swithes to 'no power to either terminal' to turn the pump off....

If you want to wire the toggle switch, you must wire the power in to your toggle switch from Line 2 120v coming from the wall....then you would wire one of the toggle switch lines to Terminal 2 and the other toggle switch line to Terminal '3 or 4'.... Line 1 120v would always gets wired to Terminal 1....

The other thing I noticed you say was that one of the wires coming from your wall is white.... This normally means it is a neutral wire which is only used for 120v operation, which this pump is only made for 240v operation. If your white wire is actually carrying 120v and thus is made for a 240v system, I would use black electrical tape and make it look black so no one gets confused....

- - - Updated - - -

As far as your question about the toggle switch, the black wire would hook up to Line 2 120v from your wall which would be the white wire and the red wire would go to Terminal 1 on the pump (or you could reverse these as they are both carrying 120v on different phases).... but you need to get a 120v-240v test light and check to make sure that you are getting 120v from the red wire AND 120v from the white wire which would give you your 240v to operate the pump...

btw, 120v and 110v are the same thing and 220v and 240v are the same thing as well for this purpose....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.