How long to run pump?

Aug 25, 2015
ny ny
I've been trying to figure out how long to run the pump for and just want to make sure I'm not doing this wrong.

I have a 1.5 hp pump and a 20x40 33000 gal pool.

I'm thinking in the range of 8 to 10 hours.

Also does it matter time of day? Obviously electricity is cheaper at night...

And does it matter if the returns are pointed down? ( That's what the crooks over at chemex tell me, to point them down as much as possible)

Many folks like to break it up into two runs 2-3 hours AM and 2-3 hours PM so the pool stays skimmed better. It does not matter when you run it. Make the first run start whenever your nighttime rates start, 6 or 8pm. And make the second run end before your nighttime rates end at 6am or whenever. Start with 2 hours each and see if your pool is clean, if not add some time.

It can make some difference in pool temp when you run the pump. Running it during the day can warm it a bit and running at night can cool it a bit.

It also depends on your chemical regimen. If you do it my old way with chlorine tablets, and only checking total chlorine and pH, you could end up running for 18 hours a day and never have clear water. If you do it the TFP way, you can run the pump way less.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try that 4 hour method.

This is the first year I'm going with no pucks, just daily cal hypo. The pool was balanced and looks great, I'm just hoping the cost balances out OK without using pucks as these bottles fill up quickly in my yard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.