Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run pump?

I've been trying to figure out how long to run the pump for and just want to make sure I'm not doing this wrong.

I have a 1.5 hp pump and a 20x40 33000 gal pool.

I'm thinking in the range of 8 to 10 hours.

Also does it matter time of day? Obviously electricity is cheaper at night...

And does it matter if the returns are pointed down? ( That's what the crooks over at chemex tell me, to point them down as much as possible)
    33000 gallon vinyl IG pool. s240 hayward sand filter. Full sun in NY area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to run pump?

Many folks like to break it up into two runs 2-3 hours AM and 2-3 hours PM so the pool stays skimmed better. It does not matter when you run it. Make the first run start whenever your nighttime rates start, 6 or 8pm. And make the second run end before your nighttime rates end at 6am or whenever. Start with 2 hours each and see if your pool is clean, if not add some time.

It can make some difference in pool temp when you run the pump. Running it during the day can warm it a bit and running at night can cool it a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

It also depends on your chemical regimen. If you do it my old way with chlorine tablets, and only checking total chlorine and pH, you could end up running for 18 hours a day and never have clear water. If you do it the TFP way, you can run the pump way less.
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might find this helpful
    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try that 4 hour method.

This is the first year I'm going with no pucks, just daily cal hypo. The pool was balanced and looks great, I'm just hoping the cost balances out OK without using pucks as these bottles fill up quickly in my yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Careful with the cal-hypo, it adds CH to your pool. If CH gets too high it can cause calcium scaling.

Here is a little info to read up on the potential issues
    Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach