Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Timer With Rainbow 300C Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Timer With Rainbow 300C Chlorinator

Looking into installing a Rainbow 300C chlorinator into my system at the same time as installing a timer for the pump. What are some considerations with setting the run time cycles with the chlorinator in the system? Will it be necessary to setup shorter OFF cycles due to the high concentration of chlorine sitting in the chlorinator when the pump is not running?

I have never had a timer on my pump so what I plan on may need to be tweaked; I plan on running the pump overnight for 8-10 hours. Would it be wise to re-configure the cycles to avoid the water from sitting static in the lines for too long.

Over the past 6 years of owning this pool I have run the pump 24/7 for 9-10 months out of the year putting the chlorine in the skimmers since the water is constantly moving (I never did like the floaters).

Looking to change things up.
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump Timer With Rainbow 300C Chlorinator

Is this being used for vacations? why not just use a floater instead for the week?

We always recommend pouring the bleach in front of the return instead of pouring in the skimmer, less wear and tear on the pump and filter.. is there a certain reason you have been running 24/7, clarity of water?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I work offshore so anything to help the wife keep the pool low maintenance on top of worry free during vacations.

I do add the bleach in front of the returns. I guess I run the pump like I do bc that's the way I always have. I like to kept the water moving, but if I don't have to, then there's no need to waste electricity.

25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

hmmmm, sounds like a salt water generator would be better suited for what you need/want...

Ease of use, go away for a week or 2, check FC levels once a week while you are away, CYA does not rise with use, run pump 6 to 12 hours a day to create chlorine

That chlorinator is just going to give you problems down the road...

The Hayward T15, the SJ 40 and Pentair IC40 would work ok, the IC 60 and the RG 60 would work great for your pool size..

Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Casey is right, SWG is the way to go for easy chlorination, no way around the upfront cost though.
    14K gallons vinyl IG pool, L shaped diving, hayward s-200 sand filter/side mounted multiport, hayward cl200 chlorinator, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, 1.5" cemented plumbing, Dolphin diagnostic. 3 Returns, 2 skimmers, 1 MD, 1 polaris port.