Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
What is the best course of action to stop this drip?

Please don't tell me I have to drain the pool past the return jet area (I just refilled it).

- - - Updated - - -

d0EjrdGh.jpg

Check and make sure it is not leaking from the hose and running down to the fitting before dropping off.

If you have to remove the fitting, clean off the Teflon tape and check the fitting for hairline cracks. You can use pipe thread dope or Teflon tape, but if you use the tape do not use more than 3 turns. Too much tape can force the threads apart instead of helping them form a seal.

The only way you could avoid draining is if you have an extra set of hands that can hold a bowl over the return opening to form a dome while you work. You'll have to put the fitting back whether it stops leaking or not if you need to stop working for a while.

Hard to be sure but from the picture but it looks like the Teflon tape might have been wrapped in the wrong direction, it should fallow the direction of the threads so that when being screwed back on it does not try to peel back off or bunch. I like the zip lock bag idea Tater mentioned if you have a helper that can get in the pool and push against the bag while you thread the fitting water loss should be not much.

you can reduce the amount of water pouring through it by trying to stick a ziplock bag into the jet a little so water doesn't come rushing through the hole.

Good idea!

Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I know I can simply refit the attachment. I'm mainly looking for a way to NOT drain, and still be able to fix.

This accomplishes that. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Check and make sure it is not leaking from the hose and running down to the fitting before dropping off.

If you have to remove the fitting, clean off the Teflon tape and check the fitting for hairline cracks. You can use pipe thread dope or Teflon tape, but if you use the tape do not use more than 3 turns. Too much tape can force the threads apart instead of helping them form a seal.

The only way you could avoid draining is if you have an extra set of hands that can hold a bowl over the return opening to form a dome while you work. You'll have to put the fitting back whether it stops leaking or not if you need to stop working for a while.

Didn't know about the too much tape could actually hurt.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.