Cannot Hold Chlorine

Jun 14, 2016
Cary/NC
Hello! I'm new, but have lived with this pool for more than 40 years. For the first time ever, we cannot hold ANY chlorine. Our pool store sent us home with a quart of CYA and our level has hovered at 100 ever since. This weekend we drained a foot below the skimmer and refilled. Now our CYA is 80 to 85. Shocked this morning with 2 gallons 12.25% bleach and chlorine was gone within three hours. Any thoughts? So appreciate y'all's help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please post a full set of test results and the kit you used.

With a CYA that high, the chlorine loss is certainly not from the sun. So you must have something in the pool.

We have been battling no Free Chlorine for two weeks, adding gallons and gallons of bleach, bags of turbo shock, Leslie's free and clear and quarts of algaecide 60. After reading here, I will only use the 12.25% bleach going forward. The pool has a faint green tint. I just retuned from the pool store who told me the ph was balanced. We have used test strips, but will purchase the recommended kit tonight. I would like to shock, every eight hours, if necessary. The pool math tells me to shock with less than a gallon, but I have always shocked with 2 1/2 gallons. Any thoughts on shocking to clear this sad pool?

TFP does not recommend "shocking" ... whatever that means.

We have a specific process, the SLAM, that always works. There is no "dump and pray"

If your FC is 0 (as you claim), and your CYA is 80ppm (as you guess). Then for the SLAM you have to maintain a FC level of 31ppm (see the FC/CYA Chart) at all times until you pass the 3 criteria to stop (your strips go that high? Didn't think so ;) ).

Using PoolMath, for a 25,000 gallon pool, to add 31ppm of FC requires 6.5 gallons of 12% bleach ... so no idea where you got 1 gallon from.

But, I would not add that much until you have the test kit. Order from tftestkits.net in Raleigh, NC. Get the TF-100 with XL option. Spring for the SpeedStir if you can ... it is great! You will have it in your hands by Thursday probably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.