Recommended order of action

fzr

Jun 14, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Since my pool was opened, the CYA levels have dropped (unless the pool openers didn't add enough), thus my chlorine levels won't stay up.

Current levels as tested with TF-100 kit: (89 degrees)
FC - 2.5
TC - 3.0
CYA - 20
PH - 7.4

I dumped a gallon of Bleach 8.25% and a bag of shock in the pool this morning after seeing the pool was cloudy. Yesterday the chlorine was lower so I'm sure it will be lower again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I need to do the SLAM thing. My question is does it matter if the CYA level is that low before I start dumping bleach in it go get it to shock levels? I'm going to wait till this evening to start. I have stabilizer on order to bring the CYA up but it won't be here for a few days. Do you recommend SLAMing it now or waiting and bring CYA up first?

Also, with the CYA that low, what should I bring the FC up to? The CYA/FC chart looks like it only starts at 60 for SWG pools.

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Hello Scott and welcome to TFP! With your CYA at 20, just keep your SLAM FC level at 10. Treat it like a non-SWG pool for now. Don't go any higher on CYA than 30 until you pass your SLAM. Later when you increase CYA, then increase the FC accordingly on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Good luck!

Hello Scott and welcome to TFP! With your CYA at 20, just keep your SLAM FC level at 10. Treat it like a non-SWG pool for now. Don't go any higher on CYA than 30 until you pass your SLAM. Later when you increase CYA, then increase the FC accordingly on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Good luck!

So if I pass the SLAM will I need to still need to increase the FC to say 24 when I get CYA to 60? Or would it be safe to just start keeping it at normal levels of 3-6?

Thanks again for the help. I think I just cleared out Walmart of all their bleach!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.