"Phosphate's"...

cdib67

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Pittsburgh/PA
Pool went from clear to cloudy after not using it for a few days a a few rain storms. SWG does not seem to be keeping up so I shocked the pool and it got clearer but still had slight cloud. Cannot keep chlorine levels up at all using 65% dry powder. cya is at "1" according to the pool store test, very low according to my Taylor K 2005 test kit. Levels are as follows:
FC - .06
TC - .29
CC - .23
pH - 7.9
TA - 137
Cal Hard - 156
cYa - 1
Iron - .2 (not sure about this)
the avove were from the pool store machine, my Taylor kit was close on most everything, TA was about 120.

they said I had phosphates, which I thought is what they would say and sold me a $30 bottle of Salt Sense Phosphate Remover. I have read about everyone's opinion on phosphates and somewhat agree. Questions are what to do to get pool clear again? Do I need to get the CYA up to SLAM? Is 12.5% liquid chlorine better to use?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Those numbers are from the pool store, and we do not trust pool store testing.
Please post up your levels from the K-2005 (which is not one of the recommended test kits ... you need to add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test)

You need to post up your own test results (add the FAS-DPD test) and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. The SLAM is nearly always better to use liquid chlorine.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Can you return that phosphate remover? No need for it.

You should raise the CYA up to about 30ppm and then follow the SLAM process (which is going to be hard without the FAS-DPD, you can estimate by diluting the DPD test you have with distilled water)

When you SLAM you maintain the shock level for your CYA level- in your case 12FC for 30CYA as much as possible! This needs to be maintained until you pass the 3 criteria for completion of the SLAM- clear water, overnight loss of FC <1, and CC of <0.5.

Thanks, two question's on the slam. With a Cya at 30 based on the chart I will want to maintain the FC at 4 using a shock level of 12, correct? And maintain this until the overnight test is passed?
No, during the SLAM you maintain the 12. Test and adjust back up to 12 as many times a day as you can. During the week, most folks test and adjust in the morning before work, as soon as they get home from work, after dinner and the last time just before bed. Some even get a neighbor to add some bleach mid day to keep the chlorine level up. On the weekend they test and adjust back up to shock level every hour. The goal is to keep it at shock level as much of the time as possible.

Got the FAS- DPD test kit this morning, what a big difference that makes. Started slam and have been above 12 most of the day. Continuing to vacuum and brush as well. Pool is cloudy but water is clear blue (not green). Hopefully tomorrow morning shows progress. Should I be checking pH or wait until stabilized?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.