Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I have a Pentair intelliflo Variable speed pump. Does anybody know how slow you can run this and still have enough flow for my Hayward AQR15 SWG? Would like to run it around 1200 - 1500 RPM if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the hayward, but here is what i did with my Pentair SWG. It would run OK at 900 rpm with an occasional low flow error. So, I moved it to 1000 rpm and it worked great for a while but when my filter started clogging up and I got some low flow errors again. So, I moved it to 1100 rpm and it has worked great with no low flow errors in years.

I don't know about the hayward, but here is what i did with my Pentair SWG. It would run OK at 900 rpm with an occasional low flow error. So, I moved it to 1000 rpm and it worked great for a while but when my filter started clogging up and I got some low flow errors again. So, I moved it to 1100 rpm and it has worked great with no low flow errors in years.

Perfect, thanks pooldv... I will set it at 1200 and see how it goes.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to have mine above 1610 RPM's otherwise I get flow errors. This is in a 3 month old pool with a recently cleaned filter. Before cleaning I had to run at 2100 RPM to not get flow errors. It's strange that everyone's differs a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The minimum flow rate requirement is around 15 GPM for the Hayward SWG's.

Each pool's plumbing has its own characteristics and with VS pumps you need to experiment with different speeds like the others have said to dial in your pool's requirements.

Reactions: CajunCoding
Related question: Is there a flow sensor in the Hayward T-15 cell (or perhaps a sensor that's typically in-line, outside of the cell), that only allows the cell to be powered when there's sufficient water flow?

Reason for asking is I was a bonehead and left my multiport valve at 'waste'. So my system went on at night, pumped out ~500 gal of water until the skimmer went dry. Then was running for ~5 hours without water flow. (Yeah, I know.... a dumb move that I won't ever do again...duh.) Fortunately, my pump appears to be working fine for the past couple of days. The T-15 looks to be producing Cl just like before (ie: Cl bubbles from the returns). I'm wondering if there's a sensor that cuts power to the T-15 if flow is too low. Also wondering if there's an issue powering the cell without water flow...? I'm guessing that it might not be a problem, if the cell's plates are dry... but perhaps a problem if there's water just sitting in the cell while it's powered. Any insight? Thanks!

Thanks! Curious about a few details:
So the system only applies power to the salt cell when there's adequate flow, correct? (Anything else that that sensor controls?)
Is that 'required', and installed in essentially all Hayward SWG systems? Or is it up to the discretion of the builder whether to include or not?
Is it visible in the pic below? (The only 2 sensors that are obvious are 1 just behind the T15 cell, and another clamped to the pipe to the right of the waste hose.)
Tnx again!!!

rsz_pool1.jpg

Picture is too small and blurry to be sure, but I think it is right next to the cell. It is just a PVC tee with the sensor screwed in. It generally only senses flow for the SWG and is required.

I think in their automation systems it can also be used to shut off the pump if no flow is sensed, as a safety if prime is lost ... But I am not 100% sure on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think in their automation systems it can also be used to shut off the pump if no flow is sensed, as a safety if prime is lost ... But I am not 100% sure on that.
I can confirm that the more recent controllers can shut off the pump using the SWG flow sensor.

I don't think that there is a set it and forget rpm for variable speed pumps and swg. You just have to experiment with what works best. I run 1200 rpm. Mine will still work at 900. But 1200 is a good safe value and doesn't cost that much more to operate

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.