Sand coming out of filter

May 31, 2015
OKC, OK
SO opened my pool 2 weeks ago, and it has just been a constant battle the whole time. First some of the air mattresses we keep the cover off the water with deflated, and we ended up with puddles and leaves on it, and mixing into the pool water (my fault, could have stayed more on top of it). SO opened it to a brown murky mess. But after a shock, some algecide and floc, everything was fine. Decided to do a deep cleaning on my sand filter since it was not filtering well at all at the end of last summer. and opened it up to find the sand very low. So removed all the sand and replaced with 75 pounds of pool sand on bottom, and 50 pounds of NEOSand on top of that (175 pound Dreamline filter).

First strange problem. When I was taking the sand out I realized the laterals were not all the way at the bottom of the filter, but a few inches off the bottom. So when I filled it back up and put it all together, I made sure to put it all the way down. So now the standpipe doesn't go as far into the multiport (Hayward Vari-flow XL)as it did, but it is still past the "splined" section, for lack of a better word.

Then, go everything back together and the pump would just trip the GFI breaker. Finally took the pump off the stand to find the entire bottom of the pump motor housing was rusted, so probably just shorting out. Luckily the previous owner had left an old pump in the shed, Got that out and it worked, but it is leaking at the pump shaft, which would explain why he switched it. So, new pump is on the to-do list now.

Anyway, got everything back together and working, and now I am getting sand out the pipe into the pool. I figure it is one of 3 things. One, as I said the standpipe isn't all the way up into the multiport, so perhaps sand is sneaking by and getting in that way. Two, the pool sand I used is the Quikrete brand stuff. I've heard people say it isn't the best quality as far as particle size and that they get some blow by into the pool from it (but I am getting a lot, so I doubt that is it). Three, the laterals. I know they aren't broken, or at least weren't before I put the sand on them, but I'm wondering if perhaps I didn't get the I have this kind of laterals in my filter. They don't screw in, and just kind of pivot/pop into place, I assume one or more of them might have popped up and caused the gap like you see in this pic.

551ab633-7a0b-49df-8b23-c01a098ad112_zpsff4519cc.jpg

My first thought was the stand pip, so I put some plumbers putty on the pipe to seal it against the walls of the multiport, but it still pumps out sand. When the pump first turns on a huge amount of sand comes out, then it just sprays a small bit the whole time after that.

I know it's probably the laterals, but I am really trying to avoid taking all the darn sand out again. Also one thing that makes me think it is the standpipe and not the laterals is that it still pushed sand out when the valve is on bypass. Not nearly as much sand, but a little bit the whole time, just without the giant amount at the start like when its on filter. If it's not going through the filter, how is the sand getting in there, unless it the standpipe?

Did you backwash the filter after changing the sand? If not what you're seeing is the smaller grains returning. Should always backwash after a sand change to get rid of the smaller grains. If this is the issue it'll eventually stop, vacuum to waste what's in the pool and backwash the filter. That should take care of it.

Set it to backwash for about 5 mins, then rinse for 2 mins last night. Put it back to filter and turned on pump , and a huge burst of sand pumped into the pool again. So I can only assume it is something with the laterals. Although I still don't understand why I still get a small amount of sand when it's on bypass. And on filter why does it get a huge burst, followed by a little ongoing stream?

OK, so now things get more strange. Got the replacement pump today for the one I had on there with the leaking shaft seal. Installed it and turned it on to check everything out. Was happy with the install, so walked over to the pool to check the sand flow, and there was none. Before, there was a huge cloud that would come out when the pump first came on then a very light but steady flow after that. So I put my hand in the stream of the return jet, and couldn't feel any, and not a single grain of sand on my hand when I brought it out of the water. turned off the pump, then waited a few mins and stood next to the return jet and had my daughter turn on the pump. There was a could of sand when the pump first turned on, but much smaller than it was before, and then it stopped and no more sand coming out.

So what the heck? What difference would the pump make? Not that I mind less sand, but I sure am confused.

So I still don't understand why the new pump blew less sand out, but I figured it out.

It wasn't the laterals at all, it was the stand pipe.

When I took the multi-port off this morning to empty the filter I noticed there was sand inside it, up where the standpipe ends. But there was no sand in the standpipe itself that I could see. So this led me to believe sand wasn't getting in through the laterals. So before I dug all the sand out for the 2nd time in two weeks, I figured I would extend the standpipe first. So I cut it down, and glued on a PVC coupler and put on a length of PVC that would go all the way into the multi-port. Put it all together and turned on the pump. Big rush of sand when the pump first turned on, but then nothing. let it run for about 5-10 min's with a net of the jet in the pool. No sand in the net what so ever. Turned the pump off for about 10 min's, then back on. NO sand what so ever.

So as I originally expected it was the standpipe length, not the laterals. I can only assume that since the multi-port and the laterals/standpipe are Hayward, and the filter body is something else (can't remember it as I sit here at my computer), the the standpipe wasn't the right length. The previous owner (or pool guy) must have jerry-rigged it by raising the laterals in the filter. So when I put the laterals on the bottom where they belong, the multi-port wasn't sealed well and sand was getting through.

So a not to everyone, make sure your standpipe is the right length if you aren't using the same filter and multi-port manufacturer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.