Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation and SWG

Is it ok to bring a pool up to SLAM levels while running a SWG? We just turned on the SWG for the first time this season last night, I have been solely adding bleach the last couple of weeks.

I am heading out of town Thursday early and will be back late Sunday. I'll have the solar cover on and CYA is up to 40 (as of last test, there is more currently in the sock). I'm wondering/hoping that if I douse the pool right before I head out along with the SWG I wont drop too low. I know 4 days isn't a long time in the scheme of things, but when I found you guys last year was after a short trip, and returned to a green pool. Yes, in that case I accidentally left the filter and swg off, but it just happened so fast.
    18' x 48" Intex ultra frame
    Standard cartridge filter and SWG that came with the pool
    I started off with a Taylor test kit, but my refills are coming from TFT so I am not sure what kit you would say I have.
    Stir thingy - Check

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation and SWG

What size and brand of SWG do you have?

With a cover on and already at SLAM levels, the SWG can add too much chlorine and it could possibly get sky high depending on the run time and output settings.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I started off with a Taylor test kit, but my refills are coming from TFT so I am not sure what kit you would say I have.
    Stir thingy - Check

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I wouldn't touch a thing. It sounds like you have your SWG tuned in just right so it should be the same when you return.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No, I've been using bleach only. I have just turned my swg on for the first time this season last night. That is why I am a little worried. i have it set for 6 hours right now, I'll test tonight when I go to bed and when I wake up to see what the difference is. (I run it at night as electric rates are cheaper, I've seen that people say it's better for daylight, but I haven't researched the reasoning behind that yet.
    Stir thingy - Check