Very happy with new TFP methodology, but using a lot of bleach

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
Just did my first test with the TF-100 kit last week and everything was pretty good but needed a little more FC according to experts on this forum and the pool calculator. (see numbers below). Based on my numbers, the experts on here told me to keep FC around 3-5ppm. For a week now, I am having to add 1.5 to 2 gallons of bleach each evening to replenish the chlorine that is lost during the day. Our pool gets used everyday with an average swimload of 10-15 people. At $3.00 a gallon for 7.84% available chlorine bleach, it seems to be more expensive than using traditional methods. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong or if this will diminish over time. Any advice is appreciated.

Total Chlorine = 1.5
FC = 1ppm
CC = .5
PH = 7.2
CYA = 50
Calcium Hardness = 250
Alkalinity = 170

Just remember that chlorine is chlorine. Whether it's called bleach, liquid pool shock, or some powdered product, it has a type of sanitizer in it. Our pools need to be fed each day, whether manually via bleach or with a SWG. How much FC is required is based on the size of your pool, amount of FC loss each day, and your current CYA protecting it. Based on your tests above I see that for your CYA, your FC target should be around 6 ppm. Ideally, we like to never lose more than about 2-4 ppm of FC per day in a well-managed pool. If you are losing more than 4 ppm of FC, it may be time to run an overnight (OCLT) test. For a 26K pool, it takes about 154 ounces (1 Gal and 3 cups) of regular 8.25% bleach to raise your FC by 4 ppm. By comparison, my pool at just under 18K uses about 2.5 ppm of FC each day - about 1/2 gallon. Your pool is bigger, so a 2.5 FC loss would equate to about 3 quarts (3/4 gallon). Now the more swimmers you have, the more bacteria being eliminated. That additional stress on the water means more FC consumption - just like pushing the gas pedal down harder means more gas.

In short, a CYA of 50 requires a, FC target or 6 (say 5-7 range) and never below 4. Anything below 4 and you allow algae to grow. When you expect a swim party, it's always good to increase FC by an additional 2 ppm or so to account for the additional stress. For your size pool, using just under a gallon each day (or a gallon with lots of swimmers) is about right. If you are sure your water is algae-free, you can increase CYA to about 60 or perhaps even 70 in the summer to help protect the FC more from the sun. But before you do that, make absolutely sure you have no algae to avoid a SLAM at a higher CYA. Does all of this make sense for you?

Your FC level has dropped too low for your CYA level, so it is likely that something is now growing in the pool.

It is normal to have to add 2-4ppm of FC daily. Sounds like you are having to add 5-6ppm.

It is possible that all the use could account for that, but given that you keep letting the FC get too low. You really should raise the FC up a good ways (10-15ppm) and do the OCLT.

If you are expecting high use, then you should be raising the FC well above your minimum and maybe dose more afterward.

Certainly, perform the OCLT. Those results are pretty definitive.

I have a feeling you may pass the OCLT. the swimmer load you get is probably 4-5 times the average swimmer load so an FC loss of maybe 5-6 ppm daily might be very reasonable.

You will continue to lose that much chlorine regardless of what you use to chlorinate....chlorine is chlorine.

Well I conducted the OCLT and found that I am not losing any chlorine over night. Basically, it sounds like our aggressive swimload, along with 95 degree days is truly eating about 5-6ppm of chlorine per day. As mentioned earlier, it seemed like I was having to use a lot of bleach to keep up (about 2 gallons a day) and so I assume this will continue unless I reduce the swimload. It is a new pool so of course the neighbors are there all the time but maybe it will slow down.

Before using the TFP method, we were using the 3 inch chlorine pucks and it was not able to keep the chlorine to acceptable levels as well, even with the chlorinator turned all the way up. I was having to basically do a "mini-shock" each night to keep the chlorine in line. From a cost perspective, I still believe the TFP method is probably cheaper as I was using a significant amount of trichlor pucks and "shock" chlorine.

Thanks to each of you for your advice and feedback. I will continue to monitor it and may have to ask for donations since it's about $6 a day for bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
watch for the higher concentrations though, thickeners are added to many to reduce splash when pouring... you don't want any with thickener

Just plain bleach..........no pretty smells or splashless like he said. It will be marked as such. The Pool Shock (liquid chlorine) is a good deal for many people.

IF you have a pool store that sells liquid chlorine using the rented jugs check out their pricing.

Kim:cat:

Thanks for the heads up on the liquid chlorine. What brand is it? Do you know if there are other ingredients in it that may cause problems down the road? I wasn't sure if it includes harmful ingredients such as those in chlorine pucks.

I don't remember the brand, but you will find it in the pool section at walmart. It will say liquid pool chlorine on the label.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.