New Pool Build Frisco, TX

gqneon

May 26, 2016
Frisco, TX
I've enjoyed this forum so I thought I'd contribute by making my first posts a project build-up thread. The timing was right so we pulled the trigger this summer!

We decided to go for a geometric pool design rather than a freeform because of our small back yard and the layout inherently complemented the space's existing geometric angles.

The basic specs of the pool and some of the selections were:
Pool Perimeter : 85 feet
Spa Perimeter : 24 feet
Total Perimeter : 87 feet
Depth Profile: 3.5' x 5'

436 square feet of water
14,000 gallons

Spa Raised 12" with 3' Sheet Spillway 27" sheet spillway - only spills over a third, the rest runs down the veneer instead
Split Bench in Spa
2 8' benches (1 deep end, 1 shallow end)
4.5' x 10.5' Tanning Ledge with Bubbler
Rear Beam Raised 12" with 3 stone scuppers

Finish Choices
Decking : QDI Travertine Ancient Castle / English Walnut / Something Else mixture in Versaille Pattern, 588 sq feet
Coping : QDI Noce Travertine
Waterline : 1" x 1" Noble NWFR 165 St. Raphael
Plaster : StoneScapes Mini-Pebble Midnight Blue Finish
Veneer for Spa and Raised Beam : "Granbury Chop"

Equipment
Pool Controller : E-Command 4 with Spa Side Remote
Main Pump : TriStar 2HP (2.7 HP max builder put 2.2 S.F motor version instead) Single Speed
Filter : Hayward 525 Cartridge
Cleaner : Polaris 280
Heater : Hayward 400k BTU
Sanitization: RB320 and Ozone
Lighting : 2 LV LED in Pool, 1 LV LED in Spa Not ColorLogic 4.0 like brochure given, 1.5" LEDS instead, partially illuminated

There's probably other details I've omitted but that's the general gist of where this design is headed. I'll try to keep the thread updated as things progress. This is our first time building an in-ground pool and we're really excited to see it come together! Hopefully our selections won't crash and burn!

A quick view of the space we had to work with - the pictures are large originally so it looks like I might be limited on how many I can post. I'll do what I can and see what I can do to resize files as I get better at this!

**Edit - had to take them offline because they were too large. I need to find a way to URL link them or resize to make this work. Stay tuned.**

image hosting no registration

Here's the selections I've got going on, and I apologize if some of these pictures aren't clear. I had to resize them online and I lost some of my editing abilities to draw arrows etc to clarify points on the photos, etc. This should get the idea across though! The coping is the one on the far right in the top right picture. The pavers are the top one on the rack in the third picture (which rotated horizontally for some reason with resizing) and the plaster is the bottom row, fourth over from the left (midnight blue mini.)

print screen windows xp

And here is groundbreaking day, Dig Day 1 ! The boys were so excited and I was awoken by my almost 3-year old yelling "DAD ITS AN EXCAVATOR AND ITS MOVING!! COME ON!!" That's worth the price of admission right there lol...

And then we came home from a 1200 mile road trip the next evening to a violent thunderstorm that came out of nowhere. Literally. No warning, no forecast, just mayhem.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

But then the rains stopped, and they came the next day to get things back on track and then again today to get things back in motion. Plumbing is pressurized and I'm guessing they're going to try to set steel tomorrow, I've got my fingers crossed!

A cave in is like my biggest nightmare. I will hopefully be scheduled to dig in the next two weeks. I am your neighbor to the west in Little Elm. Looks good though.

Side note: How are you posting such high def photos without a sponsorship here?

I live in Frisco and we're slated to start July 13th. Frustratingly as our permits were approved by the City on May 25th. When did you get your permitting?

As for the rain, that was insane. I'm not sure if you're talking about the Rain Sunday or Monday (yesterday) but both were in intense. Looking forward to seeing your build!!! What part of Frisco are you in?

Here's a video looking out our front yard on Sunday and then on Monday, so you can see what did the damage :)

13 June 2016 3rd - YouTube

Rain 11 June 2016 - YouTube

13 June 2016 #1 - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Side note: How are you posting such high def photos without a sponsorship here?

I just had to link them from an online service at a really reduced quality. They're all 6-10MB each but I had to nuke them to like 25k.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Frisco and we're slated to start July 13th. Frustratingly as our permits were approved by the City on May 25th. When did you get your permitting?

As for the rain, that was insane. I'm not sure if you're talking about the Rain Sunday or Monday (yesterday) but both were in intense. Looking forward to seeing your build!!! What part of Frisco are you in?

Here's a video looking out our front yard on Sunday and then on Monday, so you can see what did the damage :)

Yeah, we were driving west on 380 coming back from Tennessee when that Sunday storm hit. I actually have a 4k video of my rear pool forms and the walls collapsing. Weather is tricky here.

We're off Panther Creek west of Legacy in Grayhawk North, probably not too far away from your place just from the looks of your videos!

So we didn't have any work on Wednesday (I'm guessing they were busy and had tons to catch up on from the storms) but things are back under way on Day 6. They came and set steel today for tomorrow's inspection, so hopefully we'll have gunite come Friday evening or Saturday. Then I imagine it will be that long long wait of curing, other projects in other phases, and crews popping in every so often to do small pieces of the job.

I've got my fingers crossed, though, for a speedy job completion. Here's the photos I took today of the rebar in place.

Progress! Looking good!

I see they ran all the piping UNDER the pool. Was that the only route they had?

Yeah, pretty much. The pool and decking runs to all easements and boundaries because of how small our back yards are here in this area (the lot is 120 x 62, minus easements, setbacks, and house footprint) so the only real route was the straight route. The good news is that all the plumbing has been pressurized for days and is right where it should be, so it'll likely never be an issue. (Never say never, right?)

Ok, here's some updates! Belly steel inspection passed without concerns on Friday morning and within 45 minutes the gunite folks were pulling in the back gate. They definitely didn't want another weather cave in, and I'd say my new gray bathtub out back isn't going to be falling in upon itself if it rains from the looks of things.

I can't wait until they dress the interior up and finish it. They started this project last Saturday, had it cave in Sunday, remediated back to square one Monday, and still had it to gunite phase and done properly by Friday afternoon. That's pretty efficient.

Now since I don't have any grass to water, I've taken to watering my gunite at least twice a day for the next 7 days. I feel like a kid playing fireman with the hose trying to get every square inch saturated hahaha...

Monday it gets turned over to the tile masons, then the stone masons, and then the decking folks and plaster folks., etc. They have to pour the equipment pad and saw cut the driveway to run the plumbing the rest of the way across, but that's all likely happening Monday through Wednesday also. I'm amazed at how efficient having all your crews being company employees and not subcontractors can be. It definitely makes a difference. I guess we'll see long term how that perception changes. They were estimating about 8 weeks from start.

More updates as they happen!

20160618_154645.jpg

Looks GREAT! Love the pups.

To your other post, it is a shame that most lots are only 120'x62'. I sold my last home because it was 3,800 sq ft on a 7,000 sq ft lot. and didn't want an entirely concrete backyard.

I am so thankful that I found a .25 acre lot size and a huge backyard 120'x83' (In Frisco ISD as well) for a nice price.

Looks GREAT! Love the pups.

To your other post, it is a shame that most lots are only 120'x62'. I sold my last home because it was 3,800 sq ft on a 7,000 sq ft lot. and didn't want an entirely concrete backyard.

I am so thankful that I found a .25 acre lot size and a huge backyard 120'x83' (In Frisco ISD as well) for a nice price.

Thanks! If I could do my move to Frisco again I'd have insisted on a 3-car garage and a front entry so my backyard actually feels like one. But this is the next best option since we're here lol...

We call our latest (and probably last) rescued Boxers "Brown Dog 4 and Brown Dog 5" most of the time. They really are great with kids!

And thanks for the votes of confidence on the pool coming out okay - I'm hypercritical of most things I embark upon and keep second guessing everything. I think if I just sit back it will all come together just fine.

What's funny - they didn't come to do work on Mon / Tues and it feels like we're way behind after how fast week 1 went lol.

It wasn't easy finding a front entry neighborhood when we built here in 2011. So many were still the alleys with rear entry garage. Being from Oklahoma we preferred the front garage and found a neighborhood we liked that did it. I totally get what you're saying.

So project day 12 the fence guys came out to rehang our 3 walking gates (they have to swing out not inwards towards the yard so no one can fall in the pool pushing them open. Since they're 40 feet away from the pool I could see where the code guy was coming from there. :rolleyes: A little sarcasm there, sorry. )

Got a message Wed afternoon that the crews that were scheduled to start Monday had been moved back to Tuesday, and Wednesday, and should be showing up in the a.m. to start Thursday. The one thing I like about the project manager for this crew is he tells me when there's delays or problems and that way I'm not guessing. I try not to reach out and distract him from other jobs that will in turn ultimately slow them from getting back to mine.

So, Project Day 13 is today. They came today but there's not much new to report. They broke down the forms (I was surprised how much wood is still sticking out of the gunite, but I guess this is normal and there's a plan or they wouldn't have done it this way), backfilled where the cave in and rain had eroded away our natural earth, and cut the driveway for routing the plumbing and electric. They covered the driveway with a few sheets of plywood so I really didn't get much of a picture, but picture a rectangle of dirt and you pretty much got it.

The good news is that the rest of the build is pretty much up to the crews timing since there's nothing stopping them from getting the work done. Our project manager mentioned now the work can pick up speed and I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to sod, use pavers, rubber mulch, or synthetic turf between the back wall and the fence. What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.