How to clear your pool, aka Taking one for the team!

*clicks phone to start dramatic background music
*skulks around Zea's fence... carefully peeks over, avoids tripping security lights
*adjusts balaclava
*finds a gap and squeezes thru, boards creak, feels sweat on forehead
*crawls between fence and pool, extracts jug and sample bottle from bag
*reaches up, collects water sample and tucks it away for later
*dribbles potion into pool, taking a full minute, in front of a return
*creeps away, tucking empty bottle of pooldv's floc in his bag

I did get a little over confident/lazy last summer and got some algae and had to SLAM last summer. But, the water stayed clear and we swam through the whole SLAM. First SLAM since 2012! It was scandalous! :)

If we had know THAT you would NOT have been made a MOD! :shock: LOL

Kim:cat: (had some algae on the walls once when husband thought it did not need brushed)

*clicks phone to start dramatic background music
*skulks around Zea's fence... carefully peeks over, avoids tripping security lights
*adjusts balaclava
*finds a gap and squeezes thru, boards creak, feels sweat on forehead
*crawls between fence and pool, extracts jug and sample bottle from bag
*reaches up, collects water sample and tucks it away for later
*dribbles potion into pool, taking a full minute, in front of a return
*creeps away, tucking empty bottle of pooldv's floc in his bag

*was on jet home before the sun came up for a good nights sleep

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First test of the day showed FC 0, .5 CC. Bleach added at 8:30, time to retest!

Second test FC 1, CC 1.5

According the EPA, APSP, NPC, etc, etc....that's PERFECT!! Now all you need to do is add 2 gallons of clarifier and some PhosFreeX and you'll be all set...just remember, we need to change your sand to a glass bead/zeolite mix. Don't you know that your old sand has "gone bad" and is no longer functioning correctly?? Oh, and we have some of this special linear quat algaecide that you should be dumping your pool too...every week now, no skipping. And don't worry, if it foams that means it's working.

So, since your on the upswing now, we should really discuss your pool's long terms needs. Have you hear about mineral ion systems and UV/Ozone? You can leave all that nasty chlorine behind and really have the incredible sparkly pool you've always wanted....trust me :deal:

Still slamming, wasn't able to stay as frequent with the bleach additions as I would like, but I did get more CYA and added a pound this morning. About to go make my second bleach addition of the day.

Still slamming, wasn't able to stay as frequent with the bleach additions as I would like, but I did get more CYA and added a pound this morning. About to go make my second bleach addition of the day.

I'm curious (really, no joke) - why not just grab some dichlor powder since you need to both raise FC and CYA? If it's just straight dichlor (none of that 3-in-1 Shock Plus nonsense), you kill two birds with one stone and the stabilizer will get into your water a lot quicker.

If it's just not convenient to go buy it, then enough said....

There is a Leslie's around the corner from me, but it is cheaper for me to add the CYA separately. Leslie's is selling 6 bags of dichlor for 28.99, roughly $4.83 per bag. 2 bags would raise my CYA by 12ppm and FC by 13ppm. So for almost $9.00 I can do what I just did with a $2.50 jug of 10% and 1/4 of a $15 container of CYA. $3.75 + 2.50 = $6.25 I'm spending less money to do the same thing and I still have more CYA if I need it later in the season.

There is a Leslie's around the corner from me, but it is cheaper for me to add the CYA separately. Leslie's is selling 6 bags of dichlor for 28.99, roughly $4.83 per bag. 2 bags would raise my CYA by 12ppm and FC by 13ppm. So for almost $9.00 I can do what I just did with a $2.50 jug of 10% and 1/4 of a $15 container of CYA. $3.75 + 2.50 = $6.25 I'm spending less money to do the same thing and I still have more CYA if I need it later in the season.

Wow. Pricey dichlor. I bought some recently (not for my pool) for less than $4 per bag. That was before the swim season and I haven't checked since so I guess I got the preseason special.

Don't forget to floc your pool regularly and add some enzymes to your filter :p

Zea3 you left out your spouse does not trust you or any of members of TFP to ever get this swamp clean:rolleyes:

While you were at work pool was drained and currently being re-filled:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.