Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to clear your pool, aka Taking one for the team!

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clear your pool, aka Taking one for the team!

image.jpg
    This is my personal backyard swamp! There is a huge oak just to the right of this pool that manages to drop every single leaf it possesses into the pool. I would like to say that I allowed my pool to go swampy as an altruistic sacrifice to demonstrate how easy it is to take your pool from swamp to sparkling using the TFPC method, but the truth is I got busy and lazy and allowed my pool to end up in this state. But as long as I have the opportunity I'll turn this into a teachable moment. I started yesterday by scooping out all the leaves.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to clear your pool, aka Taking one for the team!

Alright!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Following!!

You really neeeeeed about 15lbs of dichlor, some copper & bromine based algacides and about 25 lbs of Alk-Up. Just dump it all in and swirl that around a bit. Give it a day or two and you should be good to go!

If you run into anymore problems just post back and I'll give you lots more "helpful" advice
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait ... are you saying that the Mods allow their pools to become swamps?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Subscribing for the transformation.

And JoyfullNoise - Without a sarcasm emoji, a helpless web surfer may actually see your advice and follow it. "#sarcasm" needed above.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Wait ... are you saying that the Mods allow their pools to become swamps?
    I have often wondered if they ever do LOL I guess we now know the answer
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine has not gone swamp, but I certainly let the pH get away from me over the winter and the debris to pile up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

image.jpgI will say in my defense that I tore the meniscus in my left knee last September and things kind of went downhill from there. But time to move forward! Yesterday after scooping leaves for an hour I added the first couple of doses of bleach (total of 6 jugs) efficacy was questionable since the bleach is left over from the fall and as swampy as my pool is I did not expect to hold chlorine anyway. Pump has been running 24/7 on low, and due to life and prior commitments I have not been home all day. I'm about to test, then go dump some more old bleach in before I have to go to another commitment and hopefully pick up fresh bleach on the way home. I'll add today's water picture from my phone when I get the chance. I must say, scooping swampy leaves is a smelly business!
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

zea3,

Don't forget, you're going to need to change your filter sand since it has gone "bad" and make sure you get some floc in that pool ASAP!! Oh, and you shouldn't use "dirty" bleach because it will raise your TDS. The bleach isn't working because you have "chlorine lock". Get some cal-hypo instead...a 25lb bucket should be all you need. Just dump it all in at once and let it sit at the bottom so you can create a "slug" of chlorine to defeat all of the "chlorine lock" you have.

(Hehehehe ... playing "pool store" is fun....)
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    zea3,

Don't forget, you're going to need to change your filter sand since it has gone "bad" and make sure you get some floc in that pool ASAP!! Oh, and you shouldn't use "dirty" bleach because it will raise your TDS. The bleach isn't working because you have "chlorine lock". Get some cal-hypo instead...a 25lb bucket should be all you need. Just dump it all in at once and let it sit at the bottom so you can create a "slug" of chlorine to defeat all of the "chlorine lock" you have.

(Hehehehe ... playing "pool store" is fun....)

Matt: You failed Pool Store 101, as you forgot to use scare tactics to make a sale of Phos-Free! They'd fire you on Day 1!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    Matt: You failed Pool Store 101, as you forgot to use scare tactics to make a sale of Phos-Free! They'd fire you on Day 1!
    That was going to be in my next post after zea3 has gone on for another day with the SLAM. You gotta rope them in real gentle like, you see? You give a few chems, the cheaper stuff, on Day 1. Then when they come back with a little more frustrated you hit them with the next shelf up on the chemicals. You keep that going and you up-sell them each time.

Don't worry, I've got method to the madness. I'll drain his HER wallet in no time.
    Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll drain his HER wallet in no time.
    Sorry, I had to correct an error in your post!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    image.jpgI will say in my defense that I tore the meniscus in my left knee last September and things kind of went downhill from there. But time to move forward! Yesterday after scooping leaves for an hour I added the first couple of doses of bleach (total of 6 jugs) efficacy was questionable since the bleach is left over from the fall and as swampy as my pool is I did not expect to hold chlorine anyway. Pump has been running 24/7 on low, and due to life and prior commitments I have not been home all day. I'm about to test, then go dump some more old bleach in before I have to go to another commitment and hopefully pick up fresh bleach on the way home. I'll add today's water picture from my phone when I get the chance. I must say, scooping swampy leaves is a smelly business!
    Despite the old bleach I do note some improvement from inky black to olive khaki. My test results are....drumroll please: FC 0, pH 7.5, TA 60, CYA < 20. CH was not tested. I'll have to go pick up some CYA tomorrow.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry, I had to correct an error in your post!
    My bad

Despite the old bleach I do note some improvement from inky black to olive khaki. My test results are....drumroll please: FC 0, pH 7.5, TA 60, CYA < 20. CH was not tested. I'll have to go pick up some CYA tomorrow.
    Wait, you have 0 FC and your CYA is low ?!?!?!? You know what that means ....

A M M O N I A

Quick, get 15 buckets of water and add varying amount of bleach to them so we can determine the exact amount of ammonia you have and get into complicated arguments about exactly how much FC is needed to perfectly eliminate the ammonia.

Also, when you add more CYA tomorrow, which you should before neutralizing the ammonia as per pool store methodology, you should just toss it all into your skimmer. Oh, and just for good measure, make sure you add a couple of bags of dichlor too...

Did anyone check your phosphate levels yet...
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

On a more serious note....Zea, I see that you're in Houston. My pool hit 90° today. I should imagine that you've got your work cut out for you dealing with the kinetics of algae multiplication at these water temperatures. Maybe you should convert to Baquacil.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Following!!

You really neeeeeed about 15lbs of dichlor, some copper & bromine based algacides and about 25 lbs of Alk-Up. Just dump it all in and swirl that around a bit. Give it a day or two and you should be good to go!

If you run into anymore problems just post back and I'll give you lots more "helpful" advice
    You forgot the floc, ha ha.

Dang, see you had that covered later. Lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

17. Back To Top    #17

How to clear your pool, aka Taking one for the team!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    On a more serious note... Maybe you should convert to Baquacil.
    Matt

18. Back To Top    #18

I did get a little over confident/lazy last summer and got some algae and had to SLAM last summer. But, the water stayed clear and we swam through the whole SLAM. First SLAM since 2012! It was scandalous!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

My bad

Wait, you have 0 FC and your CYA is low ?!?!?!? You know what that means ....

A M M O N I A

Quick, get 15 buckets of water and add varying amount of bleach to them so we can determine the exact amount of ammonia you have and get into complicated arguments about exactly how much FC is needed to perfectly eliminate the ammonia.

Also, when you add more CYA tomorrow, which you should before neutralizing the ammonia as per pool store methodology, you should just toss it all into your skimmer. Oh, and just for good measure, make sure you add a couple of bags of dichlor too...

Did anyone check your phosphate levels yet...
    Ha! I have an ammonia test and it is clear. 0 Ammonia! Phosphate remover is the one thing I have not had the local pool store try to rope me into buying.

Stopped by the HEB for a night's supply of bleach. There were only about 3 jugs of the plain stuff left! People must be swimming in the stuff!
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Ha! I have an ammonia test and it is clear. 0 Ammonia! Phosphate remover is the one thing I have not had the local pool store try to rope me into buying.
    Well, all the cool kids in The Deep End are using phosphate removers...you wanna be cool, right? You want everyone to like you, don't ya? Huh, huh? Come on, everyone's doing it...you don't want to be the ONLY ONE not trying PhosFree...just a little won't hurt you....
    Matt

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast