Solar Blanket: Which one works best.

I have a 8' x 14' swim spa (above ground). I have purchased a 12' by 20' solar cover. Is it better to trim the cover so it will float on the water or can I leave the excess to hang over the sides of the pool?

Pool newbie here...I have read this blog and several others to determine which solar cover best suits my needs. I decided that I want to retain the heat in my pool since I plan on installing a natural gas pool heater as well (that alone is for another discussion). Excitedly, I read about GeoBubble, but I can't find anyone online in the US that sells the product. Does anyone know where this can be purchased in the US? Also, for heat retention, does a color (or clear) make a difference since the bubbles act as an insulator?

I really just want to find one that will LAST without disintigrating, because, let's face it - no money savings in heat retention if you are buying a new one every danged year or two. I HATE digging little round plastic shreds out of my skimmer on an increasingly regular basis. 1.5-2 years, really? They can't make something that lasts longer than that anymore? Our first cover many years ago was some "no name" that came with our little round 18', then when we went with the 18x33 we got a 12m Cantar that lasted 6 years with only seam separations at all areas in it's final year - if I could put it back together I would. We have gone through 2 more after that and let me tell you - junk!!!! Space Age and some other brand - both in pieces. Now I just read that someone is having those issues with Cantar as well, so have they all gone the cheap route in manufacturing these or what?? Sad. I just want something that works well to keep that heat in - really - I have solar panels for heating the pool so that part is just irrelevant in my equations. RETAIN HEAT AND LAST. Too much to ask??? Ughh!

My $0.02 with a clear bubble cover

Thanks to all the posts on TFP, I decided to take the plunge and buy a solar cover. We had been having a fairly cool summer, so when the high pool-friendly temps finally hit, the water didn't quite match up. It wasn't a lot of fun even at the end of July.

I ended up buying a Clear Diamond Solar Cover 12 Carat (Mil) from http://www.poolsupplies.com/. I picked based on a combination of estimated weight, thickness (and therefore strength and estimated life) and cost.

I knew before I hit purchase that I was going to take a pair of scissors to it, because of 2 reasons: irregularly shaped pool and ease of taking it off & putting it back on. Even the kids can drag out it, although you've got to be careful that they don't end up damaging the bubbles if you've got a concrete skirt. It was very easy to cut it. Someone else (*cough* not me) convinced me to cut it into 4 pieces, but the upside of that was that for a quick dunk, you only have to take 1 or 2 pieces off.

Results:
So what were the results? I was more than pleasantly surprised; I was amazed. After less than 24 hours of putting it in, the temperature of the water was definitely higher. After 2 days, it was very comfortable, and from day 3 onwards, it was perfect. Not hot, but think of it this way - you could slip in slowly without a shiver. I didn't measure the temperature, except with my body which is what really counts to me. $100 well spent I'd say. :cheers:

Drawbacks:
* you have to some room to put it on the side of your pool. Without a 2nd or 3rd pair of hands to help, it's a bit of a pain to do it yourself.
* You can step on it, but be careful. Gently lower your feet onto it, so you don't burst the bubbles.
* I noticed it sometimes ends up with algae growing on it. Easy enough to fix - splash some of your chlorinated pool water on it.
* If you cut it up like me, you'll get leaves and stuff floating in between the pieces, which is a pain to clean up.
* Another pain to clean it up for the winter before closing the pool.

Those may sound like a lot of 'complaints' but it meant I got to use my pool more than without it.

Re: My $0.02 with a clear bubble cover

This same diamond cover is what I am thinking about as a replacement. Curious, since it's been a while since the last post, how it's holding up.

Thanks to all the posts on TFP, I decided to take the plunge and buy a solar cover. We had been having a fairly cool summer, so when the high pool-friendly temps finally hit, the water didn't quite match up. It wasn't a lot of fun even at the end of July.

I ended up buying a Clear Diamond Solar Cover 12 Carat (Mil) from http://www.poolsupplies.com/. I picked based on a combination of estimated weight, thickness (and therefore strength and estimated life) and cost.

I knew before I hit purchase that I was going to take a pair of scissors to it, because of 2 reasons: irregularly shaped pool and ease of taking it off & putting it back on. Even the kids can drag out it, although you've got to be careful that they don't end up damaging the bubbles if you've got a concrete skirt. It was very easy to cut it. Someone else (*cough* not me) convinced me to cut it into 4 pieces, but the upside of that was that for a quick dunk, you only have to take 1 or 2 pieces off.

Results:
So what were the results? I was more than pleasantly surprised; I was amazed. After less than 24 hours of putting it in, the temperature of the water was definitely higher. After 2 days, it was very comfortable, and from day 3 onwards, it was perfect. Not hot, but think of it this way - you could slip in slowly without a shiver. I didn't measure the temperature, except with my body which is what really counts to me. $100 well spent I'd say. :cheers:

Drawbacks:
* you have to some room to put it on the side of your pool. Without a 2nd or 3rd pair of hands to help, it's a bit of a pain to do it yourself.
* You can step on it, but be careful. Gently lower your feet onto it, so you don't burst the bubbles.
* I noticed it sometimes ends up with algae growing on it. Easy enough to fix - splash some of your chlorinated pool water on it.
* If you cut it up like me, you'll get leaves and stuff floating in between the pieces, which is a pain to clean up.
* Another pain to clean it up for the winter before closing the pool.

Those may sound like a lot of 'complaints' but it meant I got to use my pool more than without it.

Old thread I know, but there is a place in the US selling the Geo Bubble Covers but quite spendy ($545 for a 20x40 which is what I need).

I have been thru 2 or 3 covers now and am gunshy to get another one at all. Cheapish one first, then a more expensive diamond bubble cover. If memory serves, the cheaper one lasted longer! The diamond one only lasted a season. Tired of spending money on these. Is there one that actually last more than a season?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same problem here, cheap seem to last the same (year) as expensive. I doubt Geo uses any better materials, they market like they do. But they all market much longer life. Mine is cut into 3 sections, so I doubt any warranty would be honored. Not sure if they're worth the trouble, I will probably try a year without. I bought Magni-clear last and it's no better than any of them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

After five years my original blue pump had to go. Bought a clear one which lasted only two years. The worst part is that the clear actually promoted algae growth if i left it on. I gotta believe the clear cover almost enhanced the suns direct rays causing algae to grow more easily. When i went on vacation i brought chlorine up to 16 ppm and put the cover on...came back 8 days later and to a green pool. Never happened with blue cover over five years. Two years with clear cover...had algae five times. And im nuts about my pool and testing and BBB. It wasnt me. Its cover. Went back to blue.

Can you give us the name of the blue cover that lasted 5 years? I do see algae growth in many bubbles with my clear cover (which lasts 2 years at most.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The worst part is that the clear actually promoted algae growth if i left it on. I gotta believe the clear cover almost enhanced the suns direct rays causing algae to grow more easily. When i went on vacation i brought chlorine up to 16 ppm and put the cover on...came back 8 days later and to a green pool. Never happened with blue cover over five years. Two years with clear cover...had algae five times. And im nuts about my pool and testing and BBB. It wasnt me. Its cover. Went back to blue.

The main reason you saw the difference with the blue cover was that it was more opqaue to UV so prevented the chlorine from breaking down as quickly. With the clear cover, it would heat the pool more by having more sun get through to the deeper water, but it also let in more UV that would have the FC drop more quickly. It's the FC drop that allowed algae to grow. Basically, if you were to use an opaque cover (at least to UV) it would have the same positive effect of allowing the FC to last longer and therefore prevent algae growth.

ok everyone has chimed in but it seems like no one agrees. Is a pool cover say from Leslies ( since they are everywhere) raise and keep the pool temp ok for swimming? without saying up down .....clear..light dark blue?I just want to know if I go there to get a cover if it will help yea or nay. Thanks Dave. BTW where I live the temps are normal 85-95 middle of summer

It depends on your location (missing). If you have cool windy nights more often than hot humid ones, then yes a cover can add a lot of heat. In my area, it is about a 5-10 degree heat gain with a cover vs without.

My pool is 6-9 degrees warmer now than it was last year and I haven't heated it all all. 80 to 82 degrees right now which is perfect for us. I have a blue, 8 mil cover. Easy to roll and lift the reel out of the way when needed. The blue is translucent throughout, not opaque. When it's windy, cloudy the cover stays on unless we're swimming. When it's sunny and calm the cover comes off if we're at home. It's on EVERY night... well except for when I got really "tired" the night of the 4th, but I lucked out and it was warm/humid all night. Having it on at night is the key, in my opinion.

Hi folks:
I am a solar pool heat installer and I'd like to weigh in a bit. I was interested in the reasoning used to arrive at the conclusion that the color mattered and that dark was bad and light was good. If that reasoning held why wasn't a CLEAR cover recommended? The solar cover does three things: 1. it acts as a physical barrier to limit the surface area of the pool and, thus, heat loss out of the pool. 2. It acts as an insulator by placing bubbles of air between the pool water surface and the atmosphere. 3. It collects heat. Solar covers perform within a solar year. Here, this year I have less INSOLATION in Philadelphia than in the average year and last year we had even less. What this means to you is that comparing two covers for heat gain performance and heat retention performance can not be done across years or even two days: it must be done under controlled conditions that are equal. In solar pool heating systems, solar collectors are evaluated by the SRCC for their performance. to my knowledge SRCC does not evaluate pool covers and so you are left to wonder what cover will do what. IMHO the light weight, easy of use, low cost, child safety, and durability of solar rings are worth some consideration. We use them for our clients with shady pools or for clients who have collector systems which are undersized due to space constraints. When so employed they are often enough to see to it that in the morning 10 degrees remain of the 15 degree lift the solar collectors gave during the previous day. This suggests there is accuracy in the previous comment that leaving a cover off during the day is best medicine for the pool. You might try taking swatches of different covers and placing them over buckets or pans which start with equal water temp and use a thermometer to track results...or, you might consider doing a cost benefit analysis for a set of solar collectors!

I think I have read many more negative reviews on solar rings than positive reviews. Many people complain that they bunch up on one side of the pool when the wind picks up.

Also, I have found that a typical pool will usually do better leaving the cover on all day rather than taking it off during the day. The reason being that evaporation heat loss during the day (>30%) is far greater the sun blockage of the cover which is only about 15%. Heat transfer simulations for various areas around the country confirm this as well. About the only exception is where the air temp is much warmer than the pool temperature and humidity is high and wind is non-existent (i.e. little evaporation).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.